The Canadian Light Source Inc. (CLSI) is a national research facility on the University of Saskatchewan campus in Saskatoon. CLSI produces very bright light, millions of times brighter than sunlight, to explore the nature and structure of molecules, and serves national and international users from academia, industry, and government institutions. CLSI is currently recruiting a Mechanical Engineer with cryogenics experience to support facility operations.
Reporting to the Mechanical Engineering Lead, the successful candidate will demonstrate a high degree of professionalism and ability to effectively communicate and function as part of a highly skilled engineering group. CLSI uses a liquid helium refrigeration system to cool a super conducting radio frequency (RF) cavity that is critical to reliable operation of the facility.
- Support the ongoing operation of the liquid helium refrigeration systems by providing engineering expertise and technical direction as part of a cross functional team of technicians, engineers and physicists
- Project management related to the LHe refrigeration plant and associated systems
- Contribute to the long term strategic planning of the cryogenic and RF systems
- Provide support for design, development and operation of other accelerator, beamline and facility systems
- University degree in Mechanical Engineering, or a related discipline
- Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience
- Eligible for professional membership in the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Saskatchewan (APEGS)
- Design, commissioning and operation of liquid helium refrigeration systems
- Preparing technical specifications for and managing contracts with vendors for the design and supply of process equipment and systems
- Operation and/or design of high energy physics or nuclear facilities
- Machine design, CAD (AutoCAD, Inventor), and/or manufacturing processes
- FEA (ANSYS or similar) software to solve heat transfer and stress problems
Alternate Skills/Experience given consideration:
- Knowledge of vacuum systems, including ultra-high vacuum
- Knowledge of precision survey and alignment equipment and techniques
- Experience designing motion control systems
- Experience with cooling water systems in a process plant setting or
- Experience with HVAC systems in a process plant setting
- Working knowledge of applicable codes and standards for mechanical design
Remuneration: A comprehensive benefits package, including supplemental health & dental, life insurance, and 4 weeks’ annual vacation is part of a competitive compensation package.
To Apply: Interested individuals are asked to apply online at www.lightsource.ca/careers or submit a resume along with references, in confidence, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote job number 919 in the subject line of the email. Applications will be considered as of July 23, 2018 and will continue until the position is filled. While all applicants are thanked for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CLSI is an equal opportunity employer and encourages members of designated groups (women, aboriginal people, people with disabilities and visible minorities) to self-identify on their applications.
To apply for this job please visit www.lightsource.ca.