You will apply a broad array of project management, analytical, computational, instrumentation, and hardware design skills in the development of research equipment and leading engineering programs of national importance within the Department of Energy complex. The Engineering Division at LBNL is a matrixed organization supporting projects and research of LBNL and other facilities around the world.
- Conceptualizes, conducts, coordinates, or makes significant contributions to large projects or multiple small projects in scope.
- Works with the Projects Scientists to translate scientific needs into engineering concepts and specifications, overseeing schedule and budget creation and reporting.
- Interacts with Lab-wide professional staff and develops internal and external collaborations. Typically prepares and presents proposals and communicates directly with the funding agency.
- Provides critical technical direction for development and integration of project components.
- Oversees design, construction, and installation of accelerator, undulator, beamline, detector, and other engineering systems for national user facilities, such as the Advanced Light Source (ALS), and other accelerator and light source facilities.
- Designs of vacuum systems for storage rings and FELs.
May serve as project or group leader, be assisted by other scientists and engineers and support staff, have principal investigator status, and directly supervise other professionals, technical support staff, or students.
- At least 5 years of relevant professional experience beyond the customary highest degree appropriate to the candidate’s discipline.
- Experience in technical management, and demonstrated superior performance in relevant engineering areas including at least some of the following:
- Vacuum systems
- Magnetic systems, normal conducting, superconducting, and/or permanent magnet
- Cryogenic systems
- Particle accelerators, plasmas, charged particle systems
- Optics and/or synchrotron beamline design
- Ability to provide strong engineering judgement and analysis.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Science, or related field.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
- This is a full time career appointment.
- Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Learn About Us:
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab- Click Here (https://commons.lbl.gov/display/hr/Benefits).
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law”.
To apply for this job please visit 184.108.40.206.