The ESRF, the European Synchrotron, is an international science facility based in Grenoble, France. Thanks to its high-level, innovative engineering and cutting-edge vision, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research institutions worldwide, welcoming more than 6 500 scientists every year in fields such as biology, medicine, chemistry, earth and environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials and surface science, and physics. The ESRF is supported by 22 countries and employs 650 staff.
Within the Mechanical Engineering Group composed of more than 40 technicians and engineers, the Adjustment and Machining Unit provides support services for mechanical assembly and machining. As part of the mechanical assembly team (3 people), your main duties will be to:
- assemble and test precision mechanical systems for the ESRF experimental stations such as motorised systems involving precision mechanics, vacuum chambers, etc)
- prepare, test and maintain stocks of certain standard components e.g. motorised systems.
- participate in the running of two self-service machining workshops
These tasks involve precision assembly works, testing (metrology, cryogenics, vacuum, motion tests), starting up of motors using their associated control systems, and writing assembly and test reports. Some of the tasks need to be performed in a clean room environment.
PROFILE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- You should hold a vocational qualification or technical degree in mechanics or a related discipline
- 2 to 8 years of relevant professional experience
- Ability to understand mechanical systems, analyse mechanical drawings, and to carry out assembling tasks with accuracy and logic
- Some knowledge of metrology, motor control and precision machining would be an asset
- Good documentation skills
- Autonomy, method and rigour)
- Ability to communicate in English (working language at the ESRF)
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed. The annual gross salary will be within the range 21– 31 k€ and additional allowances may apply.
The ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
If you are interested in this position, please apply by 31/07/2018.