The ESRF, the European Synchrotron, is an international science facility based in Grenoble, France. Thanks to its high-level, innovative engineering and cutting-edge vision, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research institutions worldwide, welcoming more than 6 500 scientists every year in fields such as biology, medicine, chemistry, earth and environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials and surface science, and physics. The ESRF is supported by 22 countries and employs 650 staff.
You will participate in the daily operation of a large and sophisticated data communication network, made of about 400 smart devices providing 30,000 ports and connecting together more than 10,000 network nodes.
Your main missions will be the following:
- Deployment, monitoring and supervision, maintenance
- Coordination of the work of cabling subcontractors
- Assistance to our users for networking problems or for the workflow related to the connection of new computers to the network
- Contribution to the technical evolution of the network infrastructure for improving its reliability, security and performance
Your will be part of a team of 4 people, strongly interacting with the 3 other teams of the wider group of 22 people in charge of Network, Security, Storage, Backup and Archiving, Compute clusters, Office automation and Support.
The ESRF network is mainly based on devices from Extreme Networks, but also Cisco and Microsens. The products involved in security come from Checkpoint, EfficientIP and Cisco. The ESRF uses a lot of opensource packages: OMD, Grafana, Debian, KVM, Nfsen, etc.
PROFILE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Technical degree (Bachelor or equivalent diploma worth at least 120 ECTS) in Computing
- 2 to 8 years of professional experience
- Strong knowledge of the network world including cabling, network switching and routing
- Official certifications at Cisco or Extreme Networks would be greatly appreciated
- Basic skills on Linux and scripting languages would be an asset.
- Team spirit, autonomy and a service-oriented attitude
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF)
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed. The annual gross salary will be within the range 26 – 32 k€ and additional allowances may apply (standby allowance, expatriation allowance, etc.).
The ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
If you are interested in this position, please apply by 31/05/2018.