CONTEXT & JOB DESCRIPTION
The System and Communication Group (SCG) provides the computing resources and services to support the ESRF in its scientific missions. The SCG Group consists of three Units: UNIX, Windows and Network. The Network Team is responsible for operating a large and sophisticated data communication network. As a member of this team, you have a direct impact on design and feature enhancements to keep our systems running smoothly. You also ensure that network operations are reliable and efficient by monitoring network performance, coordinating planned maintenance, adjusting hardware components, participating on new device deployments and troubleshooting network connectivity issues.
We are currently seeking a passionate and enthusiastic engineer for the Network Team, to collaborate in the creation of a science-based automated network infrastructure that meets the highest standards. As we are working and living in a speed-dominated world, we implement an Agile approach towards SDN Data Center networking and Campus LAN Fabric architectures, adopting new NetOps methodology in network orchestration and automatization.
The ESRF’s complex network generates a constant stream of challenges which requires continual innovation with evolving technologies and protocols. As an ESRF Network Engineer, you will define prototype solutions, design, and build solutions for the iterative Agile cycles to reach new business standards.
Your responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Wireless developments and administration: Wi-Fi planning and site surveys, coverage extensions and RF troubleshooting
- Management and operation of LAN/WAN security: Campus firewall, VPN, WAF, threats defense systems…
- Design and deployment of new DataCenter and Campus network architectures: Switches, routers, load balancers, QoS, virtualized systems, etc.
- Entrust reliable operation of the entire site network: Monitoring, operation, and troubleshooting. Participation to ticketing & issues resolution
- Higher university degree in Computer Science, Telecommunications or equivalent (Master or equivalent worth at least 300 ECTS diploma)
- 2 to 8 years of professional experience
- Experience in an international environment or in different countries would be highly appreciated
- Cisco official certifications would be an asset
- Experience with multiple of the following technologies: wireless latest standard, SDN, Fabric, IPv6, VPN, routing (BGP, OSPF), switching, network security, AAA and TLS infrastructures
- Strong knowledge on Linux, programing & scripting
- Team spirit, autonomy, multitasking and a service-oriented attitude
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF)
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed.
The monthly salary may be complemented by additional allowances upon eligibility (expatriation allowance, et
The European Synchrotron, the ESRF, is an international research centre based in Grenoble, France.
Through its innovative engineering, pioneering scientific vision and a strong commitment from its 700 staff members, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research facilities worldwide. Its particle accelerator produces intense X-ray beams that are used by thousands of scientists each year for experiments in diverse fields such as biology, medicine, environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials science, and physics.
Supported by 22 countries, the ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
To apply for this job please visit esrf.gestmax.eu.