Reference No.: BE 2022/3
At Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin, we research complex material systems for an environmentally friendly and sustainable energy supply of the future and provide a large-scale facility for researchers and industry from all over the world with the synchrotron radiation source BESSY II. Furthermore, HZB operates the Metrology Light Source in close cooperation with the Physikalisch-Technische Bundesanstalt.
The Institute for Accelerator Operation, Development and Technology is responsible for the operation and continuous development of BESSY II and the MLS in order to provide researchers with optimal conditions and new possibilities of use. More than 100 technicians, engineers and scientists work in a creative and appreciative environment to ensure reliable operation and high-quality research for more than 5000 hours per year. In addition, we conduct research for the development of new technologies, methods and concepts in accelerator science and develop design concepts for the planned successor sources BESSY III and MLS2.
Precise optical beam diagnostics is a key element for present and future light sources and at Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin (HZB), we are looking for you as a PhD student to support us in our research in this field.
- You advance the optical beam diagnostics at the BESSY II storage ring.
- You investigate non-linear and non-equilibrium beam dynamics.
- You exploit the means of fast detectors like ICCD or streak camera for new diagnostics on the turn-by-turn & bunch-by-bunch level.
- You explore capabilities to detect inter and intra bunch dynamics.
- You perform dedicated measurements at BESSY II.
- You conduct particle tracking using codes such as Elegant or MADX.
- You publish scientific results in peer-reviewed journals and perform presentations at international conferences.
- M.Sc. in physics, ideally in the field of experimental physics or accelerator physics
- Hands-on experience in instrument/detector operation/development
- Desirable: knowledge of accelerator physics
- Experience with the presentation of scientific content
- Highly proficient in written and spoken English
Your Benefits at HZB
- A job at one of the 18 Helmholtz centres
- Work in the research environment of the science metropolis Berlin
- The opportunity to contribute to international conferences and collaborations
- The chance to perform experiments during the machine development shifts at the synchrotron radiation facilities BESSYII and Metrology Light Source
- The opportunity to contribute together with researchers from all around the world to the development of renewable energies, energy stores and next-gen technologies for a climate-friendly future
- Work/life balance
- Flexible work hours with flexitime
- 39-hour week
- 30 days paid leave
- Mobile working on up to three days/week
- Comprehensive counselling services for family and career
- Health management and company sports programmes
- Financial support for public transport (Jobticket)
- Continuing education opportunities
- A company pension scheme (VBL)
- And a team that looks forward to meeting you
Fixed term contract for 36 months. The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application via our application management system by 24.05.2022. For reasons of data protection regulations, we are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach us by email or by mail in the application process.
We strive to increase the proportion of female employees and are therefore particularly pleased to receive applications from women. Disabled applicants with equal aptitude are given preference.
For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.
For more information click here.
To apply for this job please visit recruitingapp-5181.de.umantis.com.