DESY is one of the world’s leading research centres for photon science, particle and astroparticle physics as well as accelerator physics.
Accelerator Research and Development (ARD) is a core mission of the lab. By further developing and inventing technologies for improving existing accelerator facilities and for constructing new ones, the ARD group gathers indeed accelerator building expertise to stay at the leading edge of accelerator science.
Doctoral students are invited to take an active role in one of the following research topics at DESYs Accelerator R&D:
• Improvements of existing accelerator flagship facilities, e.g. upgrades to DESYs synchrotron radiation facilities, seeding of free-electron lasers, atto- and femto-second electron and photon beams
• Super-conducting RF technology for future accelerators and its implementation in FLASH, the European XFEL and other modern high power accelerators
• Compact accelerator technology with high accelerating fields, e.g. plasma accelerators, dielectric structures, beam or laser drivers for accelerators, cost-efﬁcient technologies
• New accelerator facilities for R&D, photon science and particle physics, e.g. future free-electron lasers (XFEL upgrades, PETRA IV), the SINBAD facility at DESY, future colliders (e.g. FCC at CERN)
• Doctoral students in the fields of physics or engineering may stay enrolled in their home university or enroll at the University of Hamburg or the Technical University Hamburg-Harburg (acceptance criteria must be met)
DESY-Doctoral programme is awarded for a duration of at least 3 years.
Do not hesitate to contact us at DESY Accelerator R&D to get additional information on the current research activities. Further information is available here: http://ard.desy.de/e206405.
Please arrange for two letters of reference.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classiﬁcation is based upon qualiﬁcations and assigned duties. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. Vacant positions at DESY are in general open to part-time-work. During each application procedure DESY will assess whether the post can be ﬁlled with part-time employees.
We are looking forward to your application quoting the reference code preferably via our electronic application System: Online-Application
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
Deadline for applications: Till the positions are filled
To apply for this job please visit www.desy.de.