- Job title: PhD student in Structure of Materials group
- Ref.: CFR442
- Contract type: Time-limited contract
- Salary range: 29K€
- Contract duration: 2-year contract, renewable 1 year
CONTEXT & JOB DESCRIPTION
Topic: Hard X-Ray Ghost Imaging
Hard X-ray imaging (radiography and tomography) is used in almost every branch of science for its ability to unravel the interior structure of the imaged objects. Ghost imaging is a novel imaging technique accompanied by great excitement and expectations for its paradigm-changing approach to imaging, and the associated possibility to cut radiation doses.
Hard X-ray ghost imaging was pioneered at the ESRF. This project intends to develop it further, while expanding its range of applications. Ghost imaging has a strong computational character, and this project will require leveraging the latest developments in the field (including compressed sensing and machine-learning).
You will investigate and implement new hard X-ray ghost imaging techniques on various beamlines of the ESRF. Together with different beamline scientists, you will design and carry out experiments on their beamlines, which will extend and consolidate the applications of hard X-ray ghost imaging. With the help of the project partners, who are leading experts in the field, you will also write the image reconstruction algorithms and process the experimental data.
Further information may be obtained from Nicola VIGANÒ (email: email@example.com, telephone: +33 (0)4 38 88 19 35).
- Degree allowing enrolment for a PhD (such as MSc, Master 2 de Recherche, Laurea or equivalent) in chemistry, physics, materials science, applied mathematics or closely related science
- Previous experience with programming (like: C++, matlab, Python, etc), machine-learning, or compressed sensing will be an asset
- Previous experience with hard X-ray techniques (incl. imaging) is NOT required
- Good communication skills
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF)
2-year contract, renewable 1 year.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed.
The monthly salary may be complemented by additional allowances upon eligibility (expatriation allowance, etc.).
To apply for this job please visit esrf.gestmax.eu.