The European X-Ray Free-Electron Laser Facility GmbH (European XFEL GmbH) is a multi-national non-profit company. It provide X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. Located in the Hamburg area, Germany, it comprises scientific instruments for a wide range of experimental techniques. European XFEL user operation has started in September 2017 and its science program is now developing. In the starting operation phase European XFEL strives to combine excellent operation performance, an outstanding science program and the continuous development of state-of-the-art instrumentation for x-ray FEL science applications
Our HED (High Energy Density) Instrument Group is offering a position as PhD Student (f/m/d).
- Characterization and understanding of high-density transient plasma surface and interfaces produced by high-intensity optical lasers, using novel femtosecond x-ray techniques
- Research of high-intensity laser-matter interaction and subsequent energy transport for a broad range of applications (like laser processing, compact particle/radiation sources, plasma optics and intertial confinement fusion)
Including additional opportunities of:
- Taking an active part in the experiemental activities at HED
- Joining grazing-incidence XRD (X-ray diffuse scattering) experiments
- Implemenation and commissioning of complementary optical diagnostics, such as FDI (Fourier-domain interferometry) and HHG (high-order harmonics) spectrometer
- master’s degree in physics or other relevant fields
- experience with high-intensity laser-plasma experiements and programming skills is considered an asset
- self-motivated with a good ability to work independently
- strong communication skills and interest in working in a collaborative, international and multidisciplinary team with English as working language
For additional information, please contact Dr. Motoaki Nakatsutsumi (Motoaki.Nakatsutsumi@xfel.eu).
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
The PhD research will be conducted within the HED Group of the European XFEL, operating under scientific supervision of Dr. Ulf Zastrau. The student will be enrolled in the Ph.D. program of the University of Siegen under supervision of Prof. Dr. Christian Gutt.
Become part of a vibrant international and multicultural team of scientists, engineers, technical, and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress, participate in our international networks, and shape your life upon trust-based flexible working times and telecommuting options. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
The PhD position is fully funded for 3 years (75% EG 13 TVöD). Working conditions are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition, European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme and broad relocation benefits. The European XFEL GmbH employs a diverse, broadly international staff. Non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance. The starting date of this position is negotiable.
This appointment is initially limited to 3 years.
31 March 2020
Please apply online and provide a cover letter next to a CV in English, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file. Handicapped persons will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
To apply for this job please visit www.xfel.eu.