DESY, with its 2700 employees at its two locations in Hamburg and Zeuthen, is one of the world’s leading research centres. Its research focuses on decoding the structure and function of matter, from the smallest particles of the universe to the building blocks of life. In this way, DESY contributes to solving the major questions and urgent challenges facing science, society and industry. With its ultramodern research infrastructure, its interdisciplinary research platforms and its international networks, DESY offers a highly attractive working environment in the fields of science, technology and administration as well as for the education of highly qualified young scientists.
The planned upgrade of the high-brilliance synchrotron radiation source PETRA III with a new multi-bend achromat lattice will provide unprecedented brightness and coherence properties for hard X-rays at PETRA IV. Diagnosing the X-ray beam quality at the beamlines is an essential step to optimize the performance of each instrument. The PhD position is part of the technical design phase for PETRA IV and will explore fast online wavefront and coherence analysis for future beamlines.
- Design and commission protoypes for wavefront sensing and coherence measurements of hard X-rays
- Develop analysis software for fast online diagnostics at the beamline
- Contribute to current PETRA III experiments
- Be part in an international team of physicists and engineers who develop the next-generation synchrotron light source PETRA IV
- Acquire your doctoral degree at the University of Hamburg and participate in the PhD program PIER at DESY
Look forward to a unique working environment on our international research campus. We attach particular importance to appreciative cooperation and the well-being of our DESY employees. You will benefit from our family-friendly and collegial atmosphere, our established health management and occupational pension provision. As a public employer, we offer you a secure workplace and facilitate your individual career with our comprehensive training and development opportunities. Remuneration according to the collective labour agreement (TV-AVH).
- Master`s degree or equivalent in physics and good knowledge or strong interest in optics
- Solid programming experience (preferably Python)
- Experience with X-ray physics is considered an asset
- Good communication skills and fluent in English
For further information please contact Dr. Frank Seiboth, +49-40-8998-3051 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The candidate will be hosted by the X-ray Nanoscience and X-ray Optics Group at DESY operating under the scientific supervision of Prof. Dr. Christian Schroer.
DESY promotes the professional development of women and therefore strongly encourages women to apply for the position to be filled. In addition, severely handicapped persons with equal aptitude are given preferential consideration. The advertised positions are basically suitable for part-time employment.
To apply for this job please visit v22.desy.de.