- Job title: PhD thesis student on ID20
- Ref.: CFR440
- Contract type: Time-limited contract
- Salary range: 29K€
- Contract duration: 2-year contract, renewable 1 year
CONTEXT & JOB DESCRIPTION
Thesis subject: : Developing multifunctional materials for super-dry reforming
You will join 2 teams: Beamline ID20 (ESRF, France) and LCT (Ghent University, Belgium). The ID20 team is composed of five people, with a mission to study the electronic and magnetic excitations in matter using resonant and non-resonant inelastic X-ray scattering as well as emission spectroscopy.
The Laboratory for Chemical Technology (LCT) integrates chemical science and engineering in its research on catalysis, polymerization, kinetics, reactor design and process design, and aims at research excellence (https://www.lct.ugent.be/).
The PhD subject is a collaboration between the two teams to study novel materials designed for the super-dry reforming process by means of X-ray Raman Scattering (L. Buelens, Science 2016).
The project will be carried out in both laboratories and part of the student’s time will be spent in Ghent:
- LCT part: synthesis of the multifunctional materials, their physicochemical characterization and activity testing. These periods at LCT are fundamental for the student to acquire knowledge for the development of an in situ reactor, which will be used on beamline ID20.
- ID20 part: in situ and operando characterisation in order to unveil the mechanism of catalytic performance of the new materials.
Further information may be obtained from Dr. A. Longo (tel.: +33 (0)476 88 19 07, email: Alessandro Longo (firstname.lastname@example.org) or from Prof. V. Galvita (tel.: +32 (0)468 10 60 04, email: Vladimir.galvita@UGent.be).
- Degree allowing enrolment for a PhD (such as MSc, Master 2 de Recherche, Laurea or equivalent) in chemical engineering, physics or chemistry.
- A background in catalysis, physicochemical characterization and/or data analysis is an asset.
- Soft skills: good communication (oral and written), highly interested in scientific research, enthusiastic to work in a multidisciplinary team, creative, problem-solving mindset.
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF and LCT)
2-year contract, renewable 1 year.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed.
The monthly salary may be complemented by additional allowances upon eligibility (expatriation allowance, etc.).
To apply for this job please visit esrf.gestmax.eu.