- Job title: PhD Thesis Student
- Ref.: CFR429
- Contract type: Time-limited contract
- Contract duration: 2 years, renewable for 1 additional year
- Application deadline: 24.02.2019
Context & Job description
Subject: Development of structured mono-crystalline scintillators for X-ray imaging applications
You will join the Detector Unit, a team composed of about 20 people which provides support in the field of commercial and in-house detectors and develops advanced X-ray detectors.
The overall task of the thesis is the development of new perovskite hafnate thin layer scintillators for high-resolution X-ray imaging. The work is divided into 4 activities: Simulation, Material preparation by Liquid Phase Epitaxy (LPE), Characterization and Imaging performances analysis. Modulation Transfer Function (MTF) simulations will be performed in order to select the best material/structure providing the optimised couple X-ray absorption/contrast. A growth strategy will then be set to optimise the scintillating film properties. A variety of material compositions, based on the K-edges of elements, will be specifically engineered to boost the efficiency of single crystal films at particular X-ray energies. Finally, a micro-structured device will be developed by LPE method. The luminescence and optical properties of the scintillating films, as well as their X-ray imaging performances will be evaluated. Optical spectroscopy under ionizing radiation will be performed at the University Lyon1 and imaging tests will be carried out on ESRF beamlines in real conditions of X-ray imaging for high level research.
Further information may be obtained from T. Martin (tel.: +33 (0)4 76 88 20 52, email: email@example.com).
- Degree allowing enrollment for a PhD (such as MSc, Master 2 de Recherche, Laurea or equivalent) in physics, materials science, chemistry or closely related science
- A background in experimentation is desirable, and knowledge of scintillation and crystal growth would be an advantage
- Manual skills and rigorous attention to detail are essential in this work environment
- You should be an effective team player and very well organized
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF)
Place of Work: mainly at the ESRF in Grenoble (France). Academic follow-up and measurements at Université Lyon 1 (France).
Salary: 2378€ gross salary per month
To apply for this job please visit esrf.gestmax.eu.