As Group Leader, manages and leads scientific and support staff of the Spectroscopy group within the X-ray Science Division:
- Oversees the day-to-day operations and R&D activities for SPC beamlines and laboratories, and is involved in developing new concepts and applications for a wide variety of scientific and engineering applications.
- Responsible for conceiving, planning, and implementing the design and construction of synchrotron based equipment, and for reporting relevant results in an appropriate form.
- Develops and leads a personal R&D program recognized world-wide for its scientific impact; and guides other scientists in these activities.
- Knowledge of the physics of synchrotron radiation in order to develop suitable instrumentation such as beamlines, optics, and detectors.
- Knowledge of additional areas of synchrotron radiation as applied to science within group directed research.
- Familiarity with design and implementation of high-end instrumentation at synchrotron radiation facilities.
- Skills in understanding of abstract concepts and synthesizing results within the current experimental and theoretical framework.
- Skill in written and oral communication.
- Leadership skills and the ability to teach, mentor and enhance the skills of a subordinate staff.
- Knowledge and skill in establishing and running independent research program(s) while also managing those of the group.
- Interpersonal skills and the ability to manage and apply financial and project skills and operate group research within the established budgetary control guidelines. Specialized knowledge and expertise within chemical, environmental, materials, and polymer science and systems, involving XAFS, and micro XAFS.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
To apply for this job please visit careers.peopleclick.com.