ALBA is the Spanish synchrotron light source, a large research infrastructure operating ten beamlines, complementary facilities, and an Electron Microscopy Center, this last in partnership with other institutions. Currently constructing multiple more beamlines, expanding the Electron Microscopy Center, and integrating advanced data analytics, it sums up a wide range of infrastructures geared toward finding solutions to societal challenges.
Located in Cerdanyola del Vallès (Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain), it is funded by the Spanish Government (Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación) and the Catalan Government (Generalitat de Catalunya, Departament de Recerca i Universitats). The synchrotron light produced by 3 GeV electrons is used by thousands of researchers to analyse and understand the properties and functionality of matter, spanning a wide variety of fields, such as catalytic research, health, energy production/storage, environmental research, communication technologies, or cultural heritage.
Our highly motivated staff works in a multidisciplinary work environment with an atmosphere formed by lived diversity, inclusion and respect for our colleagues. Located close to Barcelona in a natural park and well connected by car and public transportation, with excellent connectivity to the world and an employer who understands the importance of life-work balance.
Facing an upgrade to ALBA II, a 4th generation facility, which will increase dramatically brightness and coherent flux, ALBA is in a phase of growth and dynamics. Being a part of the ALBA team will promote your career and will give you the opportunities to explore new territories.
We are offering a post doc position at the CLEASS beamline, a hard X-ray absorption and emission spectroscopy beamline; as member of the CLAESS group, you will
colloborate with your collegues to operate safely the beamline, support the public and industrial users, and most importantly, you will promote your own scientific program by using the instrument and growing your research network.
This position will be of interest for enthusiastic scientists holding a degree in Physics Chemistry, Material Science, or similar scientific discipline.
For more information, you can take a look on our history watching this video:
* Provide user support to public and proprietary users including performing Local Contact duties.
* Collaborate with you colleagues to maintain the beamline and contribute to the upgrade of the beamline within the ALBA II context.
* Engage with other groups of the Experiments Division and ALBA to find synergies between the programs and develop new opportunities for the facility.
* Develop your own scientific program in one of ALBA’s focus areas, including energy materials, catalysis, and environmental science, using spectroscopy techniques (XAS/XES) in combination with other capabilities available at ALBA.
* Engage in projects and collaborations of the transversal research program of the section (for example on energy storage and/or catalysis) at internal, national and
European level. This may also include the initiation of new projects if appropriate.
The requirements for participation must be met on the date of the deadline for the submission of applications and will be accredited by means of the CV attached to it, without prejudice to the power of the selection body to require the contribution of the originals of the certifications accrediting the qualifications, training and work experience invoked in the CV.
Applications that do not present the aforementioned or required documentation during the selection procedure will not be accepted.
The candidate has to:
* Hold a PhD or have programmed the PhD defense date in Physics, or Chemistry, or Material Science or similar disciplines.
* Have 2 years of work experiences (including PhD work) in XAS and/or XES spectroscopy.
Everyone who meets the requirements will be admitted for the selective process. This position is reserved for those candidates having the legal status of person with disabilities, with a degree of disability equal or greater than 33%. In case of one or more admitted applicants with this status of disability, these candidates will be evaluated at first. In the event that no candidate with the status of disability is finally selected for the position, the selection process shall continue and the rest of the applicants will be evaluated.
Selection Process Development
The selection will be carried out through the competition-opposition system.
As a first phase, an analysis of the curriculum will be carried out (assessment of previous experience and / or scientific history, degree, training and other professional information relevant to the position). The assessment of the CV in the competition phase will be scored up to 40 points, and will consider the following aspects:
• Scientific and technical experience in XAS and XES techniques. (20 points)
• Excellent Publication record in a scientific field like catalysis, energy storage or environmental sciences with strong emphasis XAS/XES results. (20 points)
The best rated candidates, at least two if possible, will be invited to an interview where the technical competence, knowledge, skills and professional experience linked to the position will be assessed, with a total score of 60 points. A minimum of 30 points must be obtained out of a total of 60 points to be eligible.
The interview will assess the following aspects, among others:
• Capability of running synchrotron experiments and exploit the experimental results. (20 points)
• Capability of maintain and develop instrumentation. (10 points)
• Good interpersonal and communication skills, including the capability to work in a multidisciplinary team. (10 points)
• Work experiences at multiple synchrotron light facilities. (10 points)
• Good organizational and planning skills. (5 points)
• Self-motivation. (5 points)
The merits will be accredited by means of the CV attached to the application. The selection body may require accreditation by additional documentation, originals or certified copies confirming the experience invoked in the CV.
In case of a tied final score, the position will be awarded to the person who belongs to the most underrepresented gender in the corresponding Division and subsidiarily to the overall company.
If necessary, alternates of the members of the Board Selection will be appointed by the president of the selection process, and the change will be published in the
The resolution of the selection procedure will be carried out within a maximum period of six months from the deadline for submitting applications for participation.
The selection process may be declared vacant if the selection body considers not to have found suitable candidates for the position although they might meet the minimum requirements.
Temporary contract (3years + 3 additional years after positive evaluation).
The Selection Board is composed by the following members: Klaus Attenkofer, François Fauth, Laura Simonelli, Carlo Marini and Marta Ávila Pérez.
To apply for this job please visit public.cells.es.