European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques.
The Spectroscopy and Coherent Scattering instrument, operating in the soft X-ray range (SASE3), includes the hRIXS spectrometer for resonant inelastic x-ray scattering (RIXS) of the Heisenberg-RIXS user consortium and two experiment stations dedicated to (1) chemistry using liquid jets (CHEM) and (2) solid/UHV samples (XRD). The components will be opened to the user community for regular proposals in run 6 (upcoming call). In order to support the SCS team we are looking for a
Post Doc / Instrument Scientist (f/m/d)
- research in ultrafast spectroscopy, particularly time-resolved RIXS, in collaboration with the SCS group and the Heisenberg-RIXS user consortium
- active role in user-assisted commissioning, in-house proposals and development of hRIXS
- user support at the hRIXS spectrometer, CHEM and XRD setup, including shift-work periods (partially nights and during weekends)
- PhD degree in physics, chemistry or equivalent
- scientific interest in at least one of the areas: functional materials, strongly correlated electron systems, energy research, photo chemistry/catalysis
- plan for developing a research program on time-resolved RIXS
- experience with performing experiments at synchrotrons, free-electron-laser, or other large-scale facilities
- experience in (time-resolved) soft X-ray(s) spectroscopy or in ultrafast optical spectroscopy
- excellent communication skills in English and the ability to work in a multi-lingual, multi-disciplinary team
The position is in close collaboration with the Helmholtz Society. Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Become part of a vibrant international and multi-cultural team of scientists, engineers, technical and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress, participate in our international networks, and shape your life upon trust based flexible working times and telecommuting options. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme, broad relocation benefits, as well as subsidized job-tickets and meals at our company restaurant. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Company language is English, non German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
This appointment is limited to 3 years.
02 November 2021
Please apply online and provide a cover letter next to a CV in English, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
Applicants with disabilities will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
To apply for this job please visit www.xfel.eu.