Contract type: Time-limited contract
Salary range: 43k€
Contract duration: 18 months, renewable for a further 6 to 18-month period
CONTEXT & JOB DESCRIPTION
In the context of the collaboration contract CREMLIN Plus, a European-Russian scientific and technical collaboration, you will join the Beam Dynamics group to work on lattice design and characterization for fourth generation light sources. As part of this collaboration, your work will focus on the design of the USSR ring, a 1.3 km diffraction limited storage ring based on the ESRF-EBS lattice design.
Your mission will be the following:
- Perform beam dynamics simulations to characterize the injection efficiency and lifetime performance of the USSR storage
- Propose and study solutions to reduce the horizontal emittance of the ESRF-EBS lattice down to 70pm and apply them to the USSR ring
- Address the feasibility of longitudinal on-axis injection using a fast stripline kicker for fourth generation light sources
- Participate in the commissioning of the ESRF-EBS ring and propose experimental studies to validate the above calculations on the ESRF-EBS storage ring
- PhD in Physics or related discipline obtained less than 3 years ago
- A strong background in accelerator physics, knowledge of lattice design codes (Accelerator toolbox, MADX) and practical experience on a running machine is expected
- Good programming skills (Python, Matlab, C++) would be an important asset
- Team work capability and good communication skills are essential
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF)
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed.
The monthly salary may be complemented by additional allowances upon eligibility (expatriation allowance, etc…).
To apply for this job please visit esrf.gestmax.eu.