European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km-long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques.
The European XFEL GmbH is opening the position of
To complete our team, we are looking for
Post-Doctoral Scientist for Experiments with femtosecond IR/VIS/UV-pulses (f/m/d)
- Develop a set of diagnostics tools and -methods that facilitate establishing experimental conditions for femtosecond IR/VIS/UV-optical pump, X-ray probe experiments.
- Refine the operation principle of these diagnostics tools based on the candidate’s clear scientific understanding of the process following femtosecond X-ray excitation.
- Develop, maintain and operate a setup to perform all-optical femtosecond pump-probe Transient Absorption and Reflection Spectroscopy using the IR/VIS/UV-pulses as excitation to study light-induced effects in matter, following the candidate’s research profile and interests.
- Support the FXE instrument operation actively, in particular in all aspects of the use, maintenance and development of the advanced excitation sources and diagnostics.
- PhD degree in physics or in a related discipline
- Proven hands-on experience working with femtosecond lasers and with the design, assembly and alignment of optical setups
- Proven experience with scientific data reduction using Python, Matlab or similar tools
- Experience with femtosecond pump-probe spectroscopy in the IR/VIS/UV regions and/or experience with THz radiation is an asset
- Work experience at a large-scale user facility is considered an asset
- Highly motivated for independent research involving instrumentation and methodology development
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-lingual, multi-disciplinary team, with English as the working language. Knowledge of German is considered an asset
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Become part of a vibrant international and multi-cultural team of scientists, engineers, technical and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress, participate in our international networks, and shape your life upon trust based flexible working times and telecommuting options. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme, broad relocation benefits, as well as subsidized job-tickets and meals at our company restaurant. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Company language is English, non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
This appointments are initially limited to 2 years.
01 August 2022
Please apply online and provide a cover letter next to a CV in English, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
Applicants with disabilities will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
To apply for this job please visit www.xfel.eu.