Reference No.: BE 2022/2
The Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie (HZB) operates the synchrotron radiation facility BESSY II as well as the Metrology Light Source (MLS), owned by the Physikalisch Technische Bundesanstalt (PTB) in Berlin-Adlershof, for an international user community from research and industry.
At the Institute for Accelerator – Operation, Development and Technology, we operate and drive the development of these user facilities. More than 100 technicians, engineers and physicists work in a creative environment to guarantee reliable and highest quality user operation of up to 5000h per year and to advance the capabilities of the accelerators to serve the rising demands of our users. Together with our partners in HZB’s accelerator division we pursue R&D in accelerator science and technology, e.g. we develop concepts and technologies for SRF applications in storage rings or the generation and usage of high brilliance electron beams in our SRF photo injector test facility, as well as the development of conceptional designs for the envisaged successor facilities BESSY III and MLS2.
To support us in these tasks, we are looking for you as a Postdoc of Accelerator Physics (f/m/d) to make significant contributions to the advancement of the MLS and to contribute to the MLS2 and BESSY III CDR.
- You make significant contributions to beam dynamics studies from a theoretical as from experimental side at MLS (and BESSY II).
- You contribute to the CDR development for MLS2 and BESSY III.
- You perform data-analysis on simulated and measured data.
- You use, modify and develop simulation codes, commissioning tools and data-analysis packages.
- Completed PhD in physics, mathematics, informatics, or an equivalent research field
- In depth knowledge in accelerator science and technology, with special emphasis on electron storage rings
- Experience in beam optics and beam dynamic studies (experimental and theoretical)
- In-depth knowledge of at least one relevant technology field: magnets & power supplies, RF systems, diagnostics, feedbacks, vacuum systems, magnet girder and alignment
- Hands on experience in the operation of electron storage rings would be a great asset
- Familiarity with common tracking codes used in accelerator physics (Elegant, MADX/PTC, OCELOT, TRACY) combined with coding and software development experience (preferably Python, MATLAB, Mathematica, C++, FORTRAN)
- Result-oriented and problem-solving mindset while being able to work well in a team
- Excellent English skills in speech and writing (at least C1)
Your Benefits at HZB
- You will be part of one of the largest non-university research institutions in Berlin, which is an international, multi-faceted organization that offers access to state-of-the-art research infrastructure and promotes networking and exchange within the Helmholtz Association and beyond
- A challenging and mission-critical role in a highly attractive work environment with access to state-of-the-art accelerator infrastructure
- An interdisciplinary, collegial, and supportive work environment
- Work-life balance through flexible working hours, mobile working (3 days/week), and consultation services on compatibility issues
- Offers of professional development through internal and external training opportunities
- Extensive social benefits such as company pension scheme, company health management, company sports, financial support for public transport (Jobticket)
- and a diverse, motivated team that is looking forward to working with you!
Fixed term contract for 36 months. The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
How to apply
We look forward to receiving your application via our application management system by 23.05.2022. For reasons of data protection regulations, we are unfortunately unable to consider applications that reach us by email or by mail in the application process.
We strive to increase the proportion of female employees and are therefore particularly pleased to receive applications from women. Disabled applicants with equal aptitude are given preference.
For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.
To apply for this job please visit recruitingapp-5181.de.umantis.com.