Join our team
European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km-long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques.
The optical laser department at the European XFEL is a team of 13 scientists and engineers. We have developed, and are operating, a range of highly specific ultrafast laser systems to provide scientific instruments with a variety of optical laser specifications for experiments in combination with x-ray pulses. Pump-laser-based THz sources were identified as an important extension to the pump-lasers.
To further expand the ongoing THz source development efforts, we are seeking to employ a
PostDoc for THz Science
Working closely with staff scientists and engineers from the laser and instrument groups, the candidate will
- interface between the laser and instrument groups to identify the scientific use cases and optimal integration of THz setups.
- design and build deployable THz setups including diagnostics.
- as second priority and time permitting, assist in the development of prototype narrow- and broadband THz sources based on LiNbO3 and organic nonlinear crystals.
- PhD-degree in photonics, experimental physics or similar disciplines.
- Experience in the field of laser–based THz science and applications as well as THz characterization.
- Proven knowledge and practical experience in the fields of ultrafast lasers and nonlinear optics.
- Hands on experience in cryogenics, laser engineering and general lab work.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-lingual, multi-disciplinary team, with English as the working language. Knowledge of German is considered an asset.
For additional information, please contact Dr. Max Lederer (firstname.lastname@example.org) .
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Become part of a vibrant international and multi-cultural team of scientists, engineers, technical and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress, participate in our international networks, and shape your life upon trust based flexible working times and telecommuting options. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme, broad relocation benefits, as well as subsidized job-tickets and meals at our company restaurant. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Company language is English, non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
This appointment is limited to 3 years
17 October 2021
Please apply online and provide a motivation letter, your CV in English, a list of publications and references in one single pdf-file.
Applicants with disabilities will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
To apply for this job please visit www.xfel.eu.