DESY is one of the world’s leading research centres for photon science, particle and astroparticle physics as well as accelerator physics. More than 2400 employees work at our two locations Hamburg and Zeuthen in science, technology and administration.
We are delighted to offer a postdoctoral positions in the field of the interaction of x-ray radiation with matter. The goal of the project is to develop a novel method that combines coherent x-ray diffraction and x-ray spectroscopy and generates a refined electron-density map of the underlying species, capable of reconstructing valence-electron density responsible for bonding. The offered theoretical, computational project will be at the boundary of physics, chemistry and applied mathematics and will be in close connection to experimental campaigns at storage-ring x-ray radiation sources (PETRA III) and x-ray free-electron laser (XFEL) facilities and in collaboration with other experimental and theory groups.
- Developing a unified representation of elastic x-ray scattering and x-ray emission spectroscopy based on an appropriate electronic orbital representation
- Extension of the field of quantum crystallography to additionally incorporate x-ray emission spectroscopy
- Testing different algorithms on numerically generated diffraction and spectral data
- Proof of concept on experimental data
- University degree in a relevant subject and PhD in theoretical AMO physics, theoretical chemistry, or applied mathematics
- Research background in theoretical AMO physics, quantum chemistry, theoretical x-ray crystallography or applied mathematics with a focus on inverse problems
- Experience in one or several of the following areas is highly desirable: numerical physics, development of quantum chemistry codes, theoretical x-ray spectroscopy, electronic structure calculations, theoretical x-ray crystallography, inverse problems, nonlinear optimization
- Strong record and interest in programming and code development in C++, C or Python is expected
- Excellent command of spoken and written English
For further information please contact Prof. Dr. Nina Rohringer, phone: +49 40 8998-6258 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The position is limited to 2 years.
Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classification is based upon qualifications and assigned duties. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. Vacant positions at DESY are in general open to part-time-work. During each application procedure DESY will assess whether the post can be filled with part-time employees.
To apply for this job please visit www.desy.de.