Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) at Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science, seeks a qualified and motivated Post-Doctoral Research Associate. The selected candidate will join the research effort on magnonic materials and devices through the study of the spin excitations, their dynamics and control possibility utilizing the Soft Inelastic X-ray Scattering (SIX) beamline. The SIX Beamline provides state-of-the-art Resonant Inelastic X-ray Scattering (RIXS) capabilities, with world-record resolving power in the soft X-ray range (160 eV – 2300 eV), thus enabling the study of the electronic properties in quantum materials with an unprecedented resolution.
The selected candidate will be part of the group of Dr. Valentina Bisogni, focusing on the study of spin dynamics with RIXS in quantum materials that have high impact for magnonic applications. Example systems the group is interested in are skyrmion materials (i.e. Cu2OSeO3), insulating ferromagnets (i.e. Y5FeO3), room temperature multiferroics (i.e. BiFeO3), high-T superconducting cuprates, magnetic van der Waals systems, etc… A recent publication from the group can be found at https://arxiv.org/abs/2010.08745. The candidate will have the opportunity to collaborate with users of the SIX beamline whose research focus on similar topics. Additionally, as a member of the Soft X-ray Scattering and Spectroscopy program, the candidate is welcome to collaborate with other members of the group as well as to utilize complementary research opportunities at other beamlines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Carry out independent scientific research on spin excitations in magnonic materials and devices, utilizing the unique capabilities of SIX beamline.
- Contribute to development and testing of the experimental setup that enables device functionalities during RIXS experiments through the application of perturbations like electric field, magnetic field, etc…
- Collaborate with team members and users in order to achieve high-impact research works.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in Physics, Chemistry, Material Science or related fields.
- Background in strongly correlated electron systems, quantum materials.
- Demonstrated record of scientific excellence through publications and talks.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to interact effectively in a team environment with a diverse group of scientists and users.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Self-driven in the literature study, performing data interpretations, manuscript writing
- High-motivation to work with a world-leading beamline
- Experience in scattering techniques, such as (soft) X-ray scattering, neutron scattering, photoelectron spectroscopy, Raman scattering, etc.
- Experience in X-ray absorption (XAS) and X-ray Magnetic Dichroism (XMCD)
- Experience in transport measurements, as well as measurements under magnetic field and electric field, including respective experimental setups.
- Experience in using software/codes for XAS and RIXS calculations such as Quanty, CTM4RIXS, EDRIXS or similar.
- Experience in single crystal alignment techniques.
- Experience in data analysis and data reduction.
- Programming skills in Python or similar languages.
- Demonstrated ability for disseminating research by writing papers and giving academic talks
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.