Join our team
European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km-long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques.
For our FXE group we are looking for a:
Postdoc Scientist for development of High-Energy Laue X-ray spectrometer (f/m/d)
The successful candidate will work closely with the instrument scientists and technical staff at FXE, as well as with our international collaborators to develop, install and commission a novel X-ray emission spectrometer for high photon energies (≳ 15 keV) to be utilized in ultrafast time-resolved experiments at the FXE Scientific Instrument. Specific tasks include:
- Perform ray tracing studies to investigate and optimize the chosen spectrometer geometry
- Develop and characterize a new analyzer bender to improve the spectrometer efficiency
- Develop, implement, maintain and operate the new spectrometer at the FXE instrument, including the MHz framerate hybrid pixel detector, maintaining compatibility with existing setups of the instrument
- Actively support the operation, maintenance and development of all X-ray spectroscopy instrumentation at FXE, while also contributing to relevant scientific activities within the group
- PhD degree in physics, chemistry or equivalent
- Extensive experience with X-ray spectroscopies is required. Acquaintance with ultrafast pump-probe X-ray techniques is an additional asset
- Knowledge of ray tracing X-ray simulations and X-ray optics is required
- High motivation for independent research involving instrumentation and methodology development, but also new applications in the field of structural dynamics of soft and hard condensed matter systems
- Acquaintance with femtosecond optical lasers, novel X-ray detectors, and analysis of large data sets are additional assets
- Experience in advanced data analysis and programming skills (Matlab and/or Python, or similar) is an asset
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-lingual, multi-disciplinary team, with English as the working language.
For additional information, please contact Frederico Lima (firstname.lastname@example.org) .
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Become part of a vibrant international and multi-cultural team of scientists, engineers, technical and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress, participate in our international networks, and shape your life upon trust based flexible working times and telecommuting options. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme, broad relocation benefits, as well as subsidized job-tickets and meals at our company restaurant. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Company language is English, non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
This appointment is initially limited to two years with a possibility of a one-year extension.
19 November 2020
Please apply online and provide a cover letter next to a CV in English, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
Applicants with disabilities will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
To apply for this job please visit www.xfel.eu.