|Requisition Number: 410136||Location: Lemont, IL|
|Functional Area: Research and Development||Division: XSD-X-Ray Science Division|
|Employment Category: Temporary 6 Months or Greater||Education Required: Not Indicated|
|Level (Grade): 700||Shift: 8:30 – 5:00|
The X-Ray Science Division of Advanced Photon Source (APS) at Argonne National Laboratory (ANL) is offering a Postdoctoral position to conduct research on x-ray cavities of cavity-based x-ray free-electron lasers (CB-XFELs). CB-XFELs are future fully coherent hard x-ray sources of extreme spectral brightness. Your work will be focused on computer simulations of x-ray cavities; development and tests of x-ray-cavity optical components, x-ray monitors, cavity alignment procedures, and eventually on cavity tests.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Ph.D. in physics with solid knowledge in optics (including x-ray optics).
- Considerable skills in experimental physics and experience of working with complex optical systems are required.
- Competence in using complex software and ability to develop new software tools is essential.
- Experience of working at synchrotron radiation or XFEL facilities.
- Understanding of abstract physical concepts and the ability to synthesize experimental results into a proper theoretical framework.
- Good written and oral communication skills for writing scientific papers and presenting research results at scientific meetings are important.
- Knowledge of Linux operating system, LaTeX document preparation system, GLE or other advanced graphical tools, Python or other programming languages is desired.”
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment
To apply for this job please visit careers.peopleclick.com.