DESY is one of the world’s leading research centres for photon science, particle and astroparticle physics as well as accelerator physics.
DESYs free-electron laser (FEL) FLASH offers unique opportunities for multidisciplinary research in the extreme ultraviolet (XUV) and soft X-ray range. The very intense, femtosecond pulses in combination with synchronized optical laser systems and strong THz pulses allow exploring ultrafast time-scales using pump-probe techniques. In the plane-grating (PG) monochromator beamline team at FLASH, we have an immediate opening for a postdoctoral fellow at the XUV Raman instrument dedicated for femtosecond time-resolved Resonant Inelastic X-ray Scattering experiments (RIXS) in the soft X-ray range. The research activity will focus on dynamical studies of the electronic structure, correlation effects and magnetic properties in systems such as strongly correlated materials. Together with the PG beamline team the candidate will be intensively involved in R&D activities and user operation support as well as conducting own FEL experiments.
• Developing and maintaining the XUV Raman endstation as well as beamline instrumentation for time-resolved RIXS experiments
• Performing FEL based spectroscopy experiments using RIXS in the XUV & soft X-ray range
• Giving high-quality support to international user groups during experiment campaigns at the PG beamlines with active participation in the experiments
• Contributing to the in-house research activities at FLASH
• PhD in experimental physics, chemistry or material science
• Experience in photon science using FELs or synchrotron radiation
• Experience with X-ray spectroscopy, optical absorption spectroscopy or Raman spectroscopy
• Knowledge of pump-probe experiments using femtosecond lasers is considered an asset
• Team player with excellent communication skills in English to pursue highly collaborative research programs and work in large international
For further information please contact Dr.Günter Brenner +49-40-8998-4527 (email@example.com) or Dr.Siarhei Dziarzhytski +49-40-8998-4527 (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The position is limited to 3 years. Salary and benefits are commensurate with those of public service organisations in Germany. Classiﬁcation is based upon qualiﬁcations and assigned duties. Handicapped persons will be given preference to other equally qualified applicants. DESY operates flexible work schemes. DESY is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women. Vacant positions at DESY are in general open to part-time-work. During each application procedure DESY will assess whether the post can be ﬁlled with part-time employees.
We are looking forward to your application quoting the reference code preferably via our electronic application System: Online-Application
Deutsches Elektronen-Synchrotron DESY
Human Resources Department
Code: FSPO012/2018 Notkestraße 85
Phone: +49 40 8998-3392
Deadline for applications: 30 September 2018
To apply for this job please visit www.desy.de.