- Job title: Postdoctoral Fellow for the Structural Biology Group
- Ref.: PDID30-1/PD29
- Contract type: Time-limited contract
- Salary range: 44K€
- Contract duration: Contract of 18 months, renewable for a further 18 months
CONTEXT & JOB DESCRIPTION
In macromolecular crystallography (MX), the merging of oscillation data from multiple crystals can be an effective method for obtaining complete, high quality datasets. With micro-beams, this technique can be expanded to include multiple sub-datasets collected from a single crystal. We have developed grouping methods based on hierarchical cluster analysis (HCA) and genetic algorithms (GAs) in order to select which partial datasets should be merged to produce an optimised final dataset.
The proposed postdoctoral position available will focus on expanding the use of GAs or HCAs in multi-crystal experiments aimed at isomorphous replacement, native and non-native anomalous phasing and molecular replacement phasing experiments.
Experience with MX data collection and processing at synchrotrons, programming experience (python, PERL, C) and familiarity with linux are essential, while experience with optimisation methods, experimental phasing and basic biochemistry laboratory techniques would be advantageous.
As for all post-doctoral researchers in the Structural Biology Group, the successful candidate will be expected to devote part of his/her working time to supporting the operation of our beamlines, in particular by acting as local contact for external user experiments.
Further information may be obtained from Max Nanao (tel.: +33 (0)4 76 88 40 87, email: email@example.com).
- PhD in physics, biophysics, or closely related science obtained less than 3 years ago
- A strong background in computer programing is desirable
- Ability to interact with multi-disciplinary staff and facility users
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF)
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed.
The monthly salary may be complemented by additional allowances upon eligibility (expatriation allowance, etc.).
To apply for this job please visit esrf.gestmax.eu.