Job ID 3918Date posted 08/09/2023
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging, high-resolution energy analysis and Fast dynamics studies. The superlative character and combination of capabilities are expected to have broad impact on a wide range of disciplines and scientific initiatives, including quantum materials, energy storage and conversion, life sciences, advanced materials science, physics, chemistry, and biology and more by offering extremely bright and stable photon beam.
The NSLS-II Accelerator Coordination group collaborates with the accelerator division and photon division to support and ensure the accelerator runs smoothly. Furthermore, we develop new tools to improve machine performance, such as beam stability.
NSLS-II has an opening for a Postdoctoral Research Associates in R&D to explore new methods to improve beamline photon beam stability. Reporting to the Accelerator Coordination Group Leader, the selected candidate will join a research effort on developing, testing and implementing feedback to enhance photon beam short- and long-term stability at selected beamlines. The selected candidate will collaborate with accelerator and beamline scientists and technical staff using storage ring and beamline instruments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the research to improve photon beam stability by combining electron and photon slow and fast feedback
- Build the model to simulate the feedback performance
- Setup the test platform to validate the model
- Perform beam experiments with collaborators
- Communicate research progress, challenges and achievements
- Dissemination of the research results as progress reports as well as peer-reviewed publications
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD degree in accelerator physics or related field
- Knowledge on principles of feedback control
- Proficiency in high level programming languages, Python and Matlab
- Hands-on experience with complex scientific instrumentation
- Ability to work independently and interact effectively in a collaborative team to tackle challenging problems
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Accelerator modeling and simulation codes
- Experience working in synchrotron light source environment
- Photon beam modeling and simulation codes
- Working in an EPICS environment
- Ability to process large volume of data
- Experience to develop machine learning algorithms and models, and/or applying such models to scientific problems
Environmental, Health & Safety Requirements:
- May be required to occasionally work off-hours, nights and/or weekends to support the projects.
- 5-10% domestic and international travel
- 2 year term appointment
BNL policy requires that after obtaining their PhD, eligible candidates for research associate appointments may not exceed a combined total of 5 years of relevant work experience as a post-doc and/or in an R&D position, excluding time associated with family planning, military service, illness or other life-changing events.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
- Coming soon….Childcare center
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.