Job ID 2037
Date posted 01/22/2020
The NSLS-II Accelerator Division has an opening for a Research Associate to participate in our research program passionate about delivering the conceptual design of NSLS-II accelerator upgrade. In particular, the successful candidate will participate in the design of a storage ring operating with high beam intensity. The appointment will be for 2 years.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the NSLS-II upgrade project including analysis of high beam current effects using both analytical and numerical approaches.
- Work with Accelerator Physics and Engineering experts on the theory of electrodynamics and electrical engineering of complex problems in the physics of intense beams.
- Specify the limiting factors for the beam intensity.
- Give presentations and report ongoing work.
- Present technical papers at conferences and publish in scientific journals.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ph.D. degree in Physics, Engineering or related discipline
- Focus on accelerator physics, electrodynamics and electrical engineering
- Experience with software for accelerator physics simulations
- Ability to perform analytical estimations and detailed simulations related to high intensity particle beams
- Knowledge of basic engineering.
- Experience in use of engineering software.
- Working knowledge of a programming language (Matlab, Python).
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At BNL, we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class. BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486-1-border/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.