Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) at Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multipurpose research institution funded primarily by the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science, seeks a qualified and motivated Post-Doctoral Research Associate for the Coherent Soft X-ray Scattering (CSX) Beamline. The CSX Beamline is the recognized world leader in Coherent Soft X-ray Scattering, with a track of publication (https://www.bnl.gov/nsls2/beamlines/publications.php?q=23-ID-1) focused on electronic ordering, inhomogeneity and dynamics; spanning across magnetic, superconductive, multiferroic, and multifunctional systems. With an in-house advanced program on nanodiffraction, flake materials and density waves/stripes, it represents a unique place for progressing our scientific knowledge on correlated electrons in materials for quantum information science, and advanced sensors and actuators.
The selected candidate will perform scientific research by taking advantage of the unique qualities of the CSX beamline, aligned with the beamline scientific program and bringing new routes. The selected candidate will provide user support, and will contribute to the beamline development activities. As a member of the Soft X-ray Scattering and Spectroscopy (SXSS) program, the candidate is welcome to collaborate with other members of the group, as well as to utilize complementary research opportunities at other beamlines of the program and of the facility in general for pursuing a personal scientific path, compatible with the beamline needs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Carry out scientific research in correlated and quantum materials utilizing the unique beamline capabilities and facility opportunities
- Provide users with the support and capabilities needed to achieve and complete high-impact experiments performed at CSX
- Contribute to instrumentation upgrade activities to fulfill the scientific demand and maintain the beamline performances to the forefront
- PhD. in Physics, Chemistry, Material Science or related fields;
- Experience in one or more of the following: synchrotron-based soft X-ray techniques, ultra-high vacuum instrumentation, X-ray optics, X-ray detector, advanced experiments;
- Understanding of strongly correlated electron systems;
- Demonstrated publication record;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to interact effectively in a team environment with a diverse group of scientists and users;
- Demonstrated analytical skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in X-ray absorption (XAS) and scattering techniques, such as X-ray scattering, neutron scattering; resonant techniques; diffraction; surface science;
- Experience in single crystal alignment techniques; low dimensional samples and flakes;
- Experience in data collection, analysis, and reduction;
- Experience in scattering constructions (Ewald sphere, diffraction conditions, geometries, calculations, multiple scattering, …);
- Programming skills in Python or similar languages;
- Demonstrated skills disseminating research (papers and scientific presentations).
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees. Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required at the start of your employment.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.