Job ID 2796
Date posted 02/01/2022
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II ) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) is seeking an exceptional postdoctoral research associate to join a research project on studying the surface chemical state and reactivity of model catalysts, including single-atom alloys, intermetallic alloys, and metal oxide systems. The research will primarily use ambient pressure X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy at the IOS/23-ID-2 beamline at NSLS-II in addition to other related surface science and synchrotron techniques. The successful candidate will also be involved in a collaboration between NSLS-II and the “Catalytic: Reactivity and Structure” group in the BNL Chemistry Division to develop instrumentation for in situ experiments that will be deployed to various NSLS-II beamlines. In addition, the successful candidate will also participate in beamline operations and user support activities alongside NSLS-II beamline scientists.
- Perform research on model catalysts using state-of-the-art experimental techniques at NSLS-II and the BNL Chemistry Division
- Participate in beamline operations including development and maintenance of instrumentation and participation in user support and commissioning activities
- Perform data analysis and report research results in peer-reviewed journals and at conferences
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Recent Ph. D. in chemistry, chemical engineering, materials science, physics, or related discipline within the past five years
- Experience with synchrotron- or lab-based X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy techniques
- Skilled in the operation, design, and maintenance of ultra-high vacuum systems
- Track record of publishing research in peer-reviewed journals and presentations at conferences
- Self-motivated and able to work independently as well as collaboratively in a team
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with performing experiments at synchrotron beamlines
- In depth knowledge of surface science and/or heterogeneous catalysis
- Experience with surface science techniques such as TPD, STM, and IRRAS
- Experience with other synchrotron techniques such as X-ray absorption spectroscopy and X-ray diffraction
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees. Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO, inclusive of the two-week waiting period, is required at the start of your employment.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.