|Job Title||Postdoctoral Research Associate, I06|
|Post Type||Full time, 3 year fixed term|
|Salary information||£32,805 to £38,593 (Discretionary range to £44,382)|
|Date of interviews|
Beamline I06 operates a leading polarised soft x-ray beamline for research exploiting x-ray magnetic circular dichroism (XMCD) and resonant soft x-ray diffraction. The beamline houses a PhotoEmission Electron Microscope (PEEM), a high-field low-temperature superconducting magnet and a soft x-ray diffractometer. We are looking for an enthusiastic and dedicated new member of the team. Research interests should be clearly presented in the application. Candidates with interests in soft x-ray diffraction from highly-correlated systems or nanomagnetism studied using XMCD/XMLD combined with a PEEM or superconducting magnet are encouraged to apply.
To work within the I06 team to undertake research.
Work in the I06 team in the following areas:
- carrying out in-house research activities using polarised soft x-rays;
- carrying out experiments, analysing data and publication of results ;
- maintenance of the beamline during operations;
- development and testing of new equipment and software for research;
- support of users in performing their experiments at Diamond;
- assisting users with data analysis;
- keeping up with latest results and research directions internationally.
Qualification & Experience – Essential
- Appropriate Science Degree;
- Appropriate PhD and three years relevant experience;
- Experience in the use of scientific instrumentation;
- Experience in scientific data collection;
- Good interpersonal, communication and presentational skills;
- Ability to interact with staff and facility users at all levels;
- Ability and initiative to get to the heart of the problem and take it effectively through to completion;
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team;
- Good organisational and planning skills;
- Self motivation;
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of hours working;
- Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences.
Qualification & Experience – Desirable
- Experience with Windows/Linux/Unix;
- Experience in synchrotron radiation based research;
- Expertise in at least one of the following techniques: polarised x-ray spectroscopy (XMCD,XMLD), soft x-ray diffraction, PEEM
- Experience in supporting scientists in the conduct of research in a synchrotron or equivalent facility;
- Good background in X-ray instrumentation and X-ray detectors;
- Capability of full data analysis.
- Must be available to travel occasionally within the UK and abroad, including overnight absences;
- Ability to work flexibly with occasional weekend and out-of hours working.
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: http://www.diamond.ac.uk/Careers/Vacancies/All/036_18_TH.html →