Job ID 1754 Date posted 05/21/2019
Brookhaven National Laboratory is entering an exciting new chapter with one of the newest and most advanced synchrotron facilities in the world. National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II ) enables the study of material properties and functions with nanoscale resolution and exquisite sensitivity by providing world-leading capabilities for X-ray imaging and high-resolution energy analysis.
This facility is open to users from academia and industry and its operations are at a time when the world enters a new era with a global economy fueled largely by scientific discoveries and technological innovations. NSLS-II provides the research tools needed to foster new discoveries and create breakthroughs in critical areas such as energy security, environment, and human health.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) at Brookhaven National Laboratory seeks post-doctoral researcher to assist in improvement of the Radia 3D magnetostatics code, to better address needs for development of new low-emittance high-brightness synchrotron light sources and other novel particle accelerators, as well as for multiple applications in different areas of science and industry. The development will include parallelization of main algorithms and functions of the code (that make use of the semi-analytical boundary integral / magnetization integral approach), increasing its accuracy and CPU-efficiency, adding new functionalities, interfacing the code with powerful optimization libraries, making calculations supporting magnetic designs of novel insertion devices and accelerator magnets, and benchmarking these calculations in terms of speed and accuracy against calculations with other codes. Comparison of the calculation results with magnetic measurements data of prototype magnets is also envisaged.
Required Qualifications and Skills
– PhD in Physics, Computer Science or related field;
– Basic knowledge of Electrodynamics, in particular Magnetostatics;
– Experience with Numerical Methods;
– Extensive programming experience in C/C++;
– Ability to interact and to communicate effectively in a team environment with a diverse group of scientific staff.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills
– Experience in magnet design;
– Python programming experience and acquaintance with popular “3rd party” Python libraries;
– Experience with collaborative development and/or support of large scientific software projects;
– Analytical calculation skills.
BNL policy states that research associate appointments may be made to individuals who have received their PhD. within the past five years.
- At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.