Job ID 3544
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Imaging and Microscopy Program at BNL’s National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) offers world-class capabilities for imaging complex and heterogeneous materials with diverse imaging modalities at multiple length scales. The Imaging and Microscopy Program operates five beamlines (FXI, HXN, SRX, TES, and XFM) with strong general user programs. FXI and HXN are nanoscale imaging beamlines offering full-field and scanning imaging capabilities, respectively. TES and XFM are microprobe beamlines, while SRX operates at micron to deep submicron range. The member of the Imaging and Microscopy Program share common tools and resources and engage in strong inter-beamline collaboration
NSLS-II has an opening for a postdoctoral researcher to join the SRX beamline team. The SRX beamline is a scanning probe beamline, providing submicron-resolution fluorescence imaging and spectroscopy to a diverse user community. The SRX is looking expand its expertise in materials science by engaging in the additive manufacturing field. In particular, novel materials and material processing techniques are being produced that need a comprehensive understanding of their material properties, behavior, and structure. A qualified candidate will utilize existing capabilities at the SRX beamline, as well as extend past fluorescence imaging and spectroscopy and to include new modalities such as X-ray diffraction. A successful candidate will lead the commissioning effort, collaborating with fellow scientists, to validate the technique, develop successful data analysis workflows, and design relevant experiments using the newly developed data analysis routines for understanding challenges in additive manufacturing. This will require collaborating with the Data Science and Systems Integration (DSSI) team to provide assistance and guidance for instrument controls and data processing. The conclusion of this project will extend the measurement techniques at the beamline for more complete material characterization, and demonstrate these capabilities using the additive manufacturing field.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and perform experiments to help characterize and understand material properties and performance in material science, e.g. additive manufacturing
- Lead the development and commissioning of X-ray diffraction imaging at the SRX beamline
- Integrate new scan plans and data processing workflows to streamline the data collection and analysis processing
- Publish work in peer-reviewed journals and present results at scientific meetings.
- Interact with the other NSLS-II staff to perform commissioning, maintenance, and upgrading tasks at SRX.
- Ph.D. in physics, materials science, chemistry, or relevant field
- Demonstrated experience in X-ray microanalysis
- Good publication record that includes synchrotron measurements
- Ability to interact effectively in a team environment with a diverse group of scientists, engineers, technical staff, and users
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Significant knowledge of X-ray diffraction, fluorescence microscopy, or spectroscopy demonstrated in publication or analysis programs
- Significant synchrotron experience in X-ray diffraction, imaging or spectroscopy
- Demonstrated proficiency in scientific programming (preferably Python)
BNL policy requires that after obtaining their PhD, eligible candidates for research associate appointments may not exceed a combined total of 5 years of relevant work experience as a post-doc and/or in an R&D position, excluding time associated with family planning, military service, illness or other life-changing events.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees. Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO is required at the start of your employment.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit careers.peopleclick.com.