Job ID 2648
Date posted 06/10/2021
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Coherent Hard X-ray Scattering (CHX) beamline at NSLSII is dedicated to studies of nanometer-scale dynamics in materials using x-ray photon correlation spectroscopy (XPCS) with a state-of-the-art diffraction and detection system for fast dynamics. It has an order of magnitude higher coherent flux and two orders of magnitude wider dynamic range compared to any other beamlines in the US. CHX is seeking a postdoctoral research associate to utilize CHX’s new magnetic resonance capability and sub-4K sample environment to study dynamics in quantum materials.
The successful candidate will be based at CHX at NSLSII and will study quantum dynamics in topological condensed matter systems using coherent x-rays under the supervision of Xiaoqian Chen. The candidate will also work closely with the X-ray Scattering Group at Condensed Matter Physics and Materials Division (CMPMD).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work together with the members of the CHX and the XSG to plan, develop and perform the first XPCS measurements of quantum dynamics in complex oxides using coherent hard x-rays.
- Analyze the prepare data for scientific publications and talks.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in physics, materials science, physical chemistry or related field.
- Good understanding of the physics of quantum materials
- Experience in x-ray scattering or related techniques
- Strong data analysis skills using programs such as Python or related packages
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including writing academic papers
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience in synchrotron-based experiments
- Experience in coherent x-rays or/and resonant x-ray scattering
- 5-10% travel
- BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.