Website BrookhavenLab NSLS-II (National Synchrotron Light Source)
Job ID 3642
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The Integrated In Situ and Resonant Hard X-ray Studies (ISR) and Inelastic X-ray Scattering (IXS) beamlines are a part of the Complex Scattering Program at the National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II), a DOE-funded scientific user facility at Brookhaven National Laboratory. These beamlines provide state-of-the-art scattering tools and common in-situ sample environments for probing the structural and electronic properties of materials, as well as the coherent coupling between spin and lattice degrees of freedom. ISR and IXS are seeking a postdoctoral research associate to utilize the beamlines’ capabilities to study magnetic van der Waals systems.
The successful candidate will be based at the ISR and IXS beamlines at NSLS-II and investigate magnetic van der Waals systems using x-ray scattering techniques, including resonant and inelastic scattering.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work together with members of the ISR and IXS beamline teams to plan and perform x-ray scattering studies of magnetic van der Waals systems.
- Analyze and prepare data for scientific publications and talks.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. in physics, materials science, or a related field
- Good understanding of the physics of quantum materials
- Demonstrated experience with x-ray scattering techniques
- Demonstrated data analysis skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience performing synchrotron-based experiments
- Experience with resonant and/or inelastic x-ray scattering techniques
- Experience working with van der Waals materials
- Experience performing first principles calculations
- Knowledge of Python or other scientific programming languages
BNL policy requires that after obtaining their PhD, eligible candidates for research associate appointments may not exceed a combined total of 5 years of relevant work experience as a post-doc and/or in an R&D position, excluding time associated with family planning, military service, illness or other life-changing events.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven Science Associates requires proof of a COVID-19 vaccination for all employees. Proof of full vaccination as recognized by the CDC and/or WHO is required at the start of your employment.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab. We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.