Job ID: 2414
Date posted: 12/03/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The successful candidate will be based at the SIX beamline of NSLS-II which is world leading in high energy resolution Resonant Inelastic X-ray Scattering (RIXS). The candidate will employ ultrafast laser pulses to induce novel metastable phases in quantum materials and use RIXS to investigate the elementary excitations of such phases. It is a fundamental role in setting up the unique laser-RIXS system and perform state-of-the-art experiments in systems such as manganites, titanates, and cuprates with the aim to uncover the mechanism behind such laser-induced transitions. The project is in direct collaboration with theorists that will help on the data interpretation, so it is important that the candidate be able to work independently and collaborate effectively with a team of scientists (both experimentalists and theorists).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work together with the beamline scientist to set up, commission, and optimize the new ultrafast laser – RIXS setup.
- Participate in synchrotron experiment planning and execution and translate the experimental results into new scientific knowledge.
- Manuscripts preparation and publication.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD in Condensed Matter Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science, or related discipline.
- Good understanding of the physics of quantum materials and ultrafast phenomena.
- Ability to perform independent experimental planning, execution, and data analysis.
- Experience in x-ray spectroscopy and/or ultrafast laser techniques to investigate quantum materials.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Demonstrated record of publications in high-impact journals related to quantum materials.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience with ultrafast laser and time resolved experiments.
- Experience in resonant scattering techniques and ultrahigh vacuum systems.
- Expertise in the use of RIXS-related codes such as Quanty, CTM4XAS etch.
- Knowledge of data analysis using Python/Matlab/Mathematica.
- Experience in proposal writing.
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.