Job ID: 2426
Date posted: 12/03/2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The National Synchrotron Light Source II (NSLS-II) at Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is seeking an exceptional Postdoctoral Research Associate to contribute to a multidisciplinary project involving several DOE user facilities, focusing on the development of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AI/ML) techniques for tomography data acquisition and reconstruction, and integration of the techniques into data acquisition and processing workflow at NSLS-II. The associate will join the NSLS-II Data Acquisition Management and Analysis (DAMA) group to work on development and software implementation of techniques for optimization of the tomography data acquisition and reconstruction and testing of the techniques using data from NSLS-II beamlines.
A broad range of scientific backgrounds will be considered for this role. Demonstrated experience and a strong interest in scientific software development or research software engineering is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership in the area of scientific data analysis.
- Lead a focused effort to develop AI/ML techniques with the goal of improving throughput of tomography acquisition beamlines and improve tomography reconstruction.
- Work on implementation of the developed computational AI/ML algorithms as maintainable packages compatible with Bluesky data acquisition and management framework (http://blueskyproject.io/).
- Coordinate with related efforts, both within the NSLS-II and DOE collaborators.
- Work closely with beamline scientists to deploy and evaluate software.
- Provide training to colleagues and write excellent documentation, to elevate the work from a proof of concept to maintainable, long-lasting infrastructure.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- PhD degree in the Physical Sciences, Material Science, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science or related discipline.
- Experience using the open source scientific Python software stack for data analysis.
- Demonstrated record of scientific excellence through publications and talks.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse, discipline-spanning team of scientists and engineers.
- Experience contributing to a scientific software project in a team environment, which might include co-developing an internal project of contributing to community-based open source software.
- Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of AI and ML principles and practices.
- Experience in image processing and tomography reconstruction.
- Contributions to open source scientific software projects.
- Experience in development of data analysis methods and procedures.
- Demonstrated record in collaborative software development, especially in distributed teams.
- Experience with neutron or X-ray techniques.
- Experience in data acquisition and analysis at a synchrotron light source, neutron source or other major scientific user facility.
- Familiarity with widely-used AI/ML libraries such as scikit-learn, PyTorch, and TensorFlow.
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file
To apply for this job please visit jobs.bnl.gov.