Website esrfsynchrotron The European Synchrotron (ESRF)
The European Synchrotron, the ESRF, is an international research centre based in Grenoble, France.
Through its innovative engineering, pioneering scientific vision and a strong commitment from its 700 staff members, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research facilities worldwide. Its particle accelerator produces intense X-ray beams that are used by thousands of scientists each year for experiments in diverse fields such as biology, medicine, environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials science, and physics.
Supported by 21 countries, the ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
CONTEXT & JOB DESCRIPTION
CM01 is the ESRF’s cryo-EM facility dedicated to performing high-resolution imaging of biological macromolecules, particularly for the structural analysis of large, difficult to crystallize, protein-protein or protein-nucleic acid complexes. CM01 has been designed to complement, and create synergy with, the existing ESRF macromolecular crystallography and BioSAXS beamlines and it is operated as a joint effort from the four institutes (ESRF, EMBL, IBS and ILL) located on the EPN campus. CM01 is equipped with a Krios G3 microscope and state-of-the-art K3 direct electron detector and a GATAN LS Quantum energy filter. CM01 offers single particle analysis (SPA) to users worldwide, and in the near future cryo-electron tomography (cryo-ET) as well.
The postdoctoral position available will focus on the method development in areas important for CM01 notably in SPA data analysis and cryo-ET. As for all postdoctoral researchers in the Structural Biology Group, the successful candidate will contribute to the operation of CM01 and will provide support to external users as local contact. Furthermore, the selected candidate will also participate in a research programme aimed at the structural characterization of the non-structural proteins of coronavirus and in particular of SARS-CoV2. The research project focuses on the molecular mechanisms of three non-structural proteins in viral replication by employing an integrative structural biology approach, including cryo-ET and SPA.
Further information may be obtained from Eaazhisai Kandiah (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- PhD in biophysics, biology or closely related science obtained less than 3 years ago
- A strong background in cryo-EM
- A strong interest in method development for cryo-EM
- Background in structural biology and protein production is desirable
- Knowledge of membrane proteins is an asset
- Ability to interact with multi-disciplinary staff and facility users
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF)
Salary range:45.5 K€ minimum
Contract of 18 months, renewable for a further 6 or 18-month period.
Do you recognize yourself in this description? Apply now for your next professional adventure!
What we offer:
- Be inspired by our innovative research institute, with an international workforce from 38 different countries
- Collaborate with global experts on real-world science
- Come and live in a vibrant city, in the heart of the Alps, and Europe’s Green Capital 2022
- Enjoy a workplace designed to support your quality of life
- Benefit from our competitive compensation and allowances package, including financial support for your relocation to Grenoble
For further information on employment terms and conditions, please refer to https://www.esrf.fr/home/Jobs/what-we-offer.html
The ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from disabled persons.
To apply for this job please visit esrf.gestmax.eu.