Reference No.: EM 2019/7
The Department Methods for Characterization of Transport Phenomena in Energy Materials engages in fundamental research on charge and thermal transport in novel phases of quantum and strongly correlated materials. The transport behavior of electrons and phonons is investigated by scattering techniques (photons and neutrons) available at the large scale facilities of HZB and elsewhere. The investigated materials are synthesized in the Department in powder and single-crystalline form and are characterized with respect to their structural, electronic, magnetic and thermal properties by a wide range of experimental techniques.
- Sample preparation and macroscopic characterization of electronic, magnetic and thermal transport properties using the analytical laboratory infrastructure at HZB
- Structural characterization (X-ray/neutron diffraction) of new phases of bulk (primarily oxide) materials as powders and as single crystals
- Implementation of a high-quality research program on thermal and electric transport phenomena in these novel materials
- Publication of research results in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- PhD in Physics or Chemistry, ideally in Experimental Solid State Physics/Chemistry
- Strong experimental background characterization techniques for macroscopic magnetic, electronic and thermal properties
- Working knowledge in the operation and maintenance of low temperature equipment for macroscopic measurements (cryostats)
- Working knowledge in sample synthesis (either powder or single crystals), sample preparation and structural characterization (X-ray or neutron diffraction)
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team, with guest researchers and technical support groups
- Contact details of at least two references should be provided
What we offer
Fixed term contract for 36 months . The salary is based on the Collective Agreement for the German Public Service (TVöD-Bund).
We particularly welcome applications from women. Preference will be given to handicapped applicants provided equal suitability.
How to apply
Have we sparked your interest? Then we look forward to receiving your application by 24.05.2019.
For German version, please click on the following link: German Version.
To apply for this job please visit recruitingapp-5181.de.umantis.com.