European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km-long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques.
The Single Particles, Clusters, and Biomolecules & Serial Femtosecond Crystallography (SPB/SFX) instrument of the European XFEL is primarily concerned with three-dimensional diffractive imaging and structure determination, primarily of biological objects. The SPB/SFX instrument aims to study structural dynamics in biological systems on the millisecond to femtosecond timescale.
Within the scope of a recently approved internal R&D grant for serial femtosecond crystallography of membrane proteins in collaboration with the Hamburg Unit of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL) situated on the nearby DESY Campus and the Moscow Institute for Physics and Technology (MIPT), we are now offering a position for:
Postdoctoral researcher for serial femtosecond crystallography of membrane proteins (f/m/d)
The successful candidate will work closely with the instrument scientists at SPB/SFX and our international collaborators to perform membrane protein research. The goal is to facilitate structural studies of a wide range of membrane proteins through the development of a pipeline comprising sample preparation, characterisation, delivery, data acquisition and analysis defining and applying best practice at each stage.
The specific tasks are:
- Contribute to the development and commissioning of membrane protein and other life science experiment modalities at the SPB/SFX instrument.
- Explore diverse sample preparation methods for membrane protein crystals with systematic optimisation of sample preparation and sample delivery modalities including experiments on EMBL’s beamlines for macromolecular crystallography on the PETRA III synchrotron.
- Process membrane protein diffraction data (including time resolved data) and refine transient crystal structures using existing and new software tools.
- Participate in user experiments (including limited shift work) and contribute to the scientific activities of the group.
- PhD degree in physics, chemistry or in a related discipline.
- Proven experience with crystallography of membrane proteins is required, including, sample preparation (expression, purification, crystallization, data collection and analysis).
- Experience in laboratory-based sample characterisation methods for optimisation of sample preparation and delivery.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-lingual, multi-disciplinary team, with English as the working language. Ability to communicate in German and/or Russian is beneficial.
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Become part of a vibrant international and multi-cultural team of scientists, engineers, technical and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress, participate in our international networks, and shape your life upon trust based flexible working times and telecommuting options. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany. In addition European XFEL provides a non-contributory company pension scheme, broad relocation benefits, as well as subsidized job-tickets and meals at our company restaurant. The European XFEL GmbH intends to achieve a widely international staff. Company language is English, non-German candidates hired from abroad receive an international allowance.
This appointment is limited to 3 years.
11 November 2021
Please apply online and provide a cover letter next to a CV in English, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
Applicants with disabilities will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and encourages applications from women.
To apply for this job please visit www.xfel.eu.