European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km-long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques.
The FXE (Femtosecond X-ray Experiments) scientific instrument at the European XFEL embraces several fields of ultrafast X-ray science and their applications by ultrafast pump–probe experiments on timescales below 100 femtoseconds.
Within the scope of a recently approved R&D project about ultrafast X-ray and MeV electron diffraction, we are now offering a position for:
Postdoctoral researcher for ultrafast X-ray and electron diffraction (f/m/d)
- Contribute to an assessment of the performance of MeV-UED beamline for measurement of ultrafast dynamics in close collaboration with the REGAE team.
- Conduct a series of feasibility experiments using reference samples and perform in-house experiments with existing and potential users.
- Process time-resolved diffraction data using existing and new software tools.
- Explore diverse sample preparation methods for X-ray/electron diffraction.
- Participate in user experiments (including limited shift work) and contribute to the scientific activities of the FXE group in EuXFEL
- PhD degree in physics, chemistry or in a related discipline.
- Proven research experience with ultrafast X-ray/electron diffraction and/or crystallography is required.
- Experience in development and commissioning of time-resolved X-ray/electron diffraction instruments is an additional asset.
- Proven knowledge and experience in data analysis using Python, MATLAB or similar tools is an additional asset.
- Experience with solid-state sample preparation, such as nanoparticle thin films, crystallization of organic or protein molecules, and dip-coating of materials, is an asset
- Highly motivated for independent research in collaborative environment.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a multi-lingual, multi-disciplinary team, with English as the working language.
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Become part of a vibrant international and multi-cultural team of scientists, engineers, technical and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress and participate in our international networks. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany, this includes for example:
– family friendly working environment (e.g. additional childcare days)
– flexible working times and option for work from home depending on tasks
– 30 days of vacation, 24th and 31st of December are free as a courtesy of the employer
– extensive relocation benefits
– generous company pension scheme (6,45% of monthly salary)
– monthly social events and subsidized company restaurant
– partially financed job-tickets for public transportation
– extensive training opportunities incl. subsidized English and German language classes
This appointments are initially limited to 3 years.
10 October 2023
Please apply online and provide a cover letter next to a CV in English, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and we promote and support diverse and heterogenous teams. Applicants with disabilities will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants.
To apply for this job please visit www.xfel.eu.