ALBA is the national synchrotron light source, a large research infrastructure based on an electron synchrotron, ten operating beamlines, three more under construction, and complementary facilities. The light produced by 3 GeV electrons is used by thousands of researchers to analyse and understand the properties of matter, covering a huge variety of fields, as health, energyproduction and storage, environmental problems, communication technologies, cultural heritage. ALBA faces the post-corona era starting-up the evolution towards the 4th generation, which will produce a more brilliant and coherent source, new beamlines, advanced data analytics, all together enhancing the facility capacities of providing answers to societal challenges.
Located in Cerdanyola del Vallès (Barcelona, Spain), it is funded by the Spanish Government (Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación) and the Catalan Government (Generalitat de Catalunya, Departament d’Empresa i Coneixement).
ALBA is a perfect spot to promote your professional career: international atmosphere, highly motivated staff, multidisciplinary environment and located ina natural park, well connected by car and public transport.
We are offering a postdoctoral researcher position within the Experiments division, focused on developing her/his own scientific program and at the sametime devoted to support and develop the user program as local contact and part of the beamline team.
We are looking for a talented researcher to join the X-ray Optics group of ALBA. Our group plays a central role in maintenance, upgrade, and especially in the development of
the beamlines and optical systems of ALBA; this includes designing and optimizing the optics layout of new beamlines, collaborate with the beamline staff of operating
beamlines to improve the performance of the instrument, and to run the Metrology Laboratory of the facility by operating and developing instruments or methodologies
used to characterize our beamline components. Among them, you can find several types of interferometers for measuring distances and angles at the nanometer scale, or to
measure large freeform surfaces with sub-nanometer accuracy.
Our believe is that ALBA, especially in the context of the upgraded ALBA II facility, needs a continuous effort in developing the instrumentation and methodologies applied
in the metrology laboratory, achieving improved reliability and most importantly pushing the accuracy limits.
These activities are accompanied with services to the beamline staff, using a wide range of optical concepts, engineering opto-mechanical implementations, and developing the
necessary metrology algorithms. In addition, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the development of the most critical optical systems used and installed at the beamlines.
We propose you to join a team of scientists and engineers specialized in the development of optical instrumentation for metrology and for x-ray beamlines.
We offer a diverse, highly interactive environment, where you will have excellent conditions to refine your scientific expertise, the technical and computational background, and to build a broad and carrying network for your scientific career. You will build national and international recognition by using opportunities to publish and present your
scientific results and approaches at conferences, workshops and seminars.
Specifically, you will:
• Participate in the research program of the Optics Laboratory. This includes projects to improve the instruments of the laboratory, and methods for the metrology of optical surfaces.
• Will participate in projects to develop new x-ray optical instruments, in close collaboration with engineers and scientists.
• Maintain and operate the instruments currently available in the laboratory, as part of the tasks of the laboratory.
• The applicant must have a doctorate in Physics, Engineering, Mathematics or related disciplines.
• Solid education in physical optics, and experience in an Optics Laboratory.
• Ability to propose and conduct an independent research using metrology instrumentation like interferometers and autocollimators.
• Good programming skills, with emphasis in data analysis, automation and instrument control.
• A good level of English both written and spoken is a must. The working language at ALBA is English.
• Good interpersonal skills, adaptability to a multidisciplinary environment, sense of responsibility and capabilities to work in a group.
• Experience in Experimental Optics. Especially, knowledge of optical instrumentation, and experimental methods.
• Experience with metrology instrumentation.
• Good programming skills, especially Python and Matlab.
• Knowledge of generic data analysis methods and algorithms.
• The contract follows working conditions accordant to CELLS regulations.
• Contract type: Temporary (2+3 years).
• This position is reserved for those candidates having the legal status of persons with disabilities with a degree of disability equal or greater than 33%. If there are no applicants with disabilities that meet the requirements of the position, the rest of the applicants without declared disability will be evaluated.
• Documents to be submitted:
• Cover letter
• Curriculum Vitae
• Literature list
To apply for this job please visit public.cells.es.