The Stanford Synchrotron Radiation Lightsource (SSRL), a Directorate of the SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, Stanford University, and a national research facility, seeks a Ph.D. Postdoctoral Scholar with research interest and experience in X-ray characterization; particularly tomography and/or spatially resolved X-ray diffraction (SRXRD). This position will involve the X-ray characterization of Li plating and other degradation mechanisms in Li-ion full-cell batteries undergoing extreme fast charging.
The work will utilize a number of synchrotron sources; such as SSRL, APS, and NSLS II; and will be part of a larger collaborative effort between SLAC, SpectraPower, and Colorado School of Mines to develop an advanced electrolyte and optimized battery cell design to achieve extreme fast charging capabilities.
A specific goal of this position is to utilize X-ray tomography and diffraction to directly verify and quantify the mitigation of Li plating and other degradation mechanisms of extreme fast charging as a result of our advances in electrolyte, cycling protocol, cell design.
For more information on SSRL programs in energy storage see https://wwwssrl.slac.stanford.edu/wekergroup/ and https://www-ssrl.slac.stanford.edu/toneygroup/ .
• Ph.D. in physics, materials sciences, chemistry, or related fields.
• Experience in X-ray imaging; X-ray tomography and/or SRXRD experience
preferred. Excellent candidates with other X-ray characterization experience may
• Willingness to learn any knowledge/experience gaps in X-ray characterization
techniques and/or electrochemistry.
• Demonstrated effective written and verbal communications skills.
• Demonstrated ability to work and communicate effectively with a diverse
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment.
This is a two-year appointment beginning in the fall of 2018.
Interested candidates should submit the following to Johanna Nelson Weker via email at email@example.com:
• Current CV
• Brief statement of research interest
To apply for this job please visit www-ssrl.slac.stanford.edu.