European XFEL is an international non-profit company located in the Hamburg area in Germany. It operates a 3.4 km-long X-ray laser, which produces X-rays of unique quality for studies in physics, chemistry, the life sciences, materials research and other disciplines. The diverse scientific facilities at European XFEL enable scientists from across the globe to carry out a wide range of experimental techniques.
The successful candidate is going to focus on the recently established research and development project :GULP, aiming at the generation of ultrafast extreme ultraviolet laser pulses to perform time-resolved X-ray photo-electron spectroscopy at high repetition rates. The offered position entails:
- Development of a femto- to attosecond laser based extreme ultraviolet high harmonic generation source.
- Participation in pump-probe experiments using a momentum microscope photoelectron spectrometer.
- Data processing and online/offline analysis using novel data processing approaches.
- Presentation of results in peer-reviewed journals and at scientific conferences.
- PhD in physics, chemistry, or related discipline as well as passion about science and innovation.
- Proven experience with femtosecond optical lasers and pump-probe experiments.
- Experience in attosecond science will be considered an asset.
- High level of motivation with the ability to conduct independent work in a collaborative environment.
- Willingness to work in a diverse team of international scientists, engineers and technicians.
- Experience in participating in experiments at free-electron lasers, synchrotrons or other photon science facilities as well as handling of UHV will be considered an asset.
For additional information, please contact Patrik Grychtol (email@example.com) .
Working place will be Schenefeld in the Hamburg metropolitan area. General information on working in Germany, the Hamburg area and the European XFEL can be found under www.xfel.eu/careers.
Become part of a vibrant international and multi-cultural team of scientists, engineers, technical and administrative staff. Be involved in cutting edge scientific and technical progress and participate in our international networks. Experience our atmosphere of tolerance and respect.
Salary and benefits are similar to those of public service organizations in Germany, this includes for example:
– family friendly working environment (e.g. additional childcare days)
– flexible working times and option for work from home depending on tasks
– 30 days of vacation, 24th and 31st of December are free as a courtesy of the employer
– extensive relocation benefits
– generous company pension scheme (6,45% of monthly salary)
– monthly social events and subsidized company restaurant
– partially financed job-tickets for public transportation
– extensive training opportunities incl. subsidized English and German language classes
Among our international staff, our company language is English.
This appointment is limited to 3 years.
Please apply online and provide a cover letter next to a CV in English, as well as your work certificates in one single pdf-file.
The European XFEL GmbH is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and we promote and support diverse and heterogenous teams. Applicants with disabilities will be given preference over other equally qualified applicants.
To apply for this job please visit www.xfel.eu.