Berkeley Lab’s Engineering Division has an opening for a Power Electronics Engineer. You will be matrixed to the Advanced Light Source Upgrade Project (ALS-U) http://als.lbl.gov/als-u/overview. ALS-U includes a planned upgrade of the main electron particle accelerator complex of the Advanced Light Source (ALS) at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab that will provide revolutionary x-ray capabilities with hundreds of times brighter x-ray beams.
In this role, you will provide professional and high level engineering support to initiate the design, development, execution and implementation of power electronics for scientific instrumentation. You will design, develop, modify and evaluate electronic parts, components or other hardware systems. You will determine design approaches and parameters. You will analyze equipment, conduct experimental tests and evaluate results. You investigate the feasibility of applying scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions and products.
This position is for a degreed, power electronics or power supply engineer. Within the ALS-U team, the selected candidate will participate in the design, specification, procurement, testing, installation and maintenance of new DC power supplies used for an upgrade of the Advanced Light Source (ALS-U) an electron synchrotron particle accelerator used to produce X-rays for scientific purposes.
Power Electronics Engineer 2 Specific Responsibilities:
- Under minimal guidance on routine work, detailed instruction on new assignments.
- Collaborate across diverse technical fields (accelerator physics, magnet design, controls, facilities engineering) to develop specifications for high stability power supplies.
- Develop circuit models to simulate power supply performance.
- Design and maintain power supply test stands, and develop test procedures including tuning of PID control loops.
- Work with technicians under minimal supervision to test power supplies for stability, reliability, and efficiency.
- Participate in design reviews for the ALS-U and present periodic progress reports on the power supply effort.
- Analyze power supply reliability and develop maintenance procedures based on MTBF for power electronics and associated hardware.
- Troubleshooting of power electronics circuits, and occasional working with the Electronics Maintenance Technicians to diagnose and repair errant equipment.
- Provide and maintain documentation of power electronics equipment.
In addition to the above, Power Electronics Engineer 3 Specific Responsibilities:
- Independently performs routine duties, works under general direction on new assignments to:
- Design of power supply cable plants, power distribution, cooling and controls systems (including safety interlocks and programming of PLCs) to integrate a large number of power supplies with other complex equipment.
- Design of highly stable and reliable unipolar and bipolar power supplies.
- Develop cost and schedule estimates for power electronics projects.
Additional Responsibilities as needed for the Power Electronics Engineer (Level 2 & 3):
- Assist in the design of power supply cable plants, power distribution, cooling and controls systems (including safety interlocks and programming of PLCs) to integrate a large number of power supplies with other complex equipment.
- Assist in the design of highly stable and reliable unipolar and bipolar power supplies.
- Assist with developing cost and schedule estimates for power electronics projects.
- Analysis, design and troubleshooting of pulsed power systems including those based on solid state and/or thyratron switching.
- Perform analysis, design and troubleshooting of pulsed power systems including those based on solid state and/or thyratron switching.
- Design of pulsed magnetics, including finite element analysis.
- Participate in developing electrical safety procedures for high voltage, current and/or energy devices.
- The individual may also occasionally be asked to participate operation, maintaining and upgrading existing DC ( tens of Watts to roughly 0.5 MW average) and pulsed power supplies at the ALS.
Power Electronics Engineer 2 Required Qualifications:
- BSEE (MSEE preferred) with an emphasis on power electronics, power supplies or pulsed power.
- Minimum of 2 years experience in power electronics, power supply or pulsed power R&D or design with demonstrated experience and proficiency with the following technical areas:
- High voltage, high current and high frequency switch
- Analog, logic and mixed signal circuit design, analysis and simulation using SPICE, Simplorer, Saber, or similar.
- Characteristics of, and circuit design using power electronics devices including BJTs, MOSFETS and IGBTs.
- Systems controls using PLCs, PXI or similar.
- Integration of equipment into highly complex systems.
- Single phase and polyphase AC circuits and power distribution.
- Communication and control theory, and PID controllers.
- Demonstrated ability to proactively develop and implement solutions to a variety of technical problems.
- Demonstrated ability to make independent decisions, solve unique problems, and interact effectively within a diverse team.
- Effective oral and written communications skills sufficient to document, present, and summarize results of research and development activities.
- Proficiency in the use of standard Office produces such as Excel, Word, Power Point, Project.
- Ability to work in a highly diverse setting.
- Willing to occasionally work off usual shifts, and occasional foreign and domestic travel.
In addition to the above, Power Electronics Engineer 3 Required Qualifications:
- Minimum of 5 years experience in power electronics, power supply or pulsed power R&D or design with demonstrated experience and proficiency and knowledge of electrical codes and electrical safety such as NEC, LOTO and NFPA 70E.
Additional Desired Qualifications Power Electronics Engineer (Level 2 & 3):
- Electromagnetics design of inductors, high frequency transformers and high voltage/current/ frequency structures.
- Electromagnetics analysis using FEA codes such as MAXWELL, OPERA or similar.
- PCB layout and design.
- Thermal analysis and design, and the use of FEA codes.
- CAD tools such as AutoCad or solid modeling.
- Familiarity with electrical codes and electrical safety such as NEC, LOTO and NFPA 70E.
- Experience with vacuum tubes and thyratrons.
- Demonstrated ability to enhance capabilities to a complex user facility, while minimizing operational impact.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
This is a 2-year term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.”
To apply for this job please visit the following URL: https://lbl.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/electronics-engineer-2-540 →