Diamond Light Source is the UK’s national synchrotron; a large world-class scientific facility which produces very intense beams of X-rays, infrared and ultraviolet light. Our scientists use the light to study a vast range of subject matter, from new medicines and treatments for disease to innovative engineering and cutting-edge technology.
About the role
We have an opportunity for an experienced Project Planner & Management Support Officer to provide professional project planning and project management expertise to support a wide range of projects and activities in Diamond’s Technical Division that underpin our world-class, cutting-edge science.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Developing and maintaining MS Project plans both for regular Technical Division activities – including projects and machine shutdown activities – as well as for a major upgrade of the Diamond facility (Diamond-II) which is in the planning stage.
- Regularly monitoring progress with respect to these plans, carry out critical path analyses, and assess the consequences of any departures from the plans
- Being pro-active in seeking the relevant information and in looking ahead to anticipate potential problems.
- Monitoring of expenditure on capital projects.
- Assisting in improving project/quality management procedures in the Technical Division (Change Control, Review and Approval etc.)
- You should be educated to degree level or demonstrate equivalent working experience, while a Qualification in Project Management is desirable
- Significant experience of project planning, including data collection, developing the Gantt chart and resource plan, performing critical path analyses, assessing the consequences of deviations from the plan etc
- Experience of applying project/quality management procedures in a technical environment
- Good degree of IT literacy, including thorough working knowledge of MS Project, Excel and Word software
- You will have a logical mind with an ability to plan complex technical projects, gathering and organising information from a wide range of sources.
- You will be a confident communicator across all levels of the organisation.
- You will have excellent MS Office skills in particular Word, Excel and Project.
Diamond offers an exceptional benefits package to support staff in achieving a positive work/life balance. This includes 25 days annual leave plus 13 days of statutory and company holidays, along
with flexible working hours and an excellent pension scheme. Staff also have access to a range of amenities on site including a nursery, cafes, a restaurant and sports and leisure facilities.
The closing date for applications is the 30th of January 2022.
Where relevant, and possible for the role, we will consider flexible working arrangements, secondment and job share opportunities.
Diamond attract talented individuals from around the world and currently employ 44 different nationalities. Reflecting trends in our sector we employ more men than women (77% men and 23% women as at March 2021). Therefore, in accordance with law and good practice, we particularly welcome applications from suitably qualified women.
If you are disabled and would like to be considered under the Disability Confident Scheme, please let us know via the online application process.
Diamond are members of Working Families (the UK’s work-life balance organisation), we have also achieved the Athena SWAN Bronze award and Disability Confident Level Two.
To apply for this job please visit vacancies.diamond.ac.uk.