|Job Title||Public Engagement Officer|
|Post Type||Full time, up to 12 months (Secondment cover)|
|Salary information||£32,805 to £38,593 (Discretionary range to £44,382)|
We are looking for an enthusiastic public engagement practitioner to oversee the delivery and planning of Diamond’s core public engagement programme for schools and the public. The successful candidate will also contribute to the planning and delivery of other elements of the public engagement programme. Candidates will have proven communication skills and the ability to translate complex scientific concepts into readily understandable terminology. As well as a talent for presenting and facilitating, candidates will need to have experience working in science communication with both public and school audiences. We are looking for someone with experience of programme planning and delivery, and working with volunteers. A scientific degree is essential, along with knowledge of databases and web content management. Candidates will also need to be capable users of MS office software.
To oversee the delivery and planning of the core public engagement programme for schools and the public, and to contribute to planning and delivery of other elements of the public engagement programme.
- Manage the planning and delivery of an agreed programme of events for the public and schools, working with the public engagement manager and volunteer staff and users;
- Work with scientists based at Diamond and our user institutions to develop their ideas into deliverable public engagement activities and events;
- Work with schools to develop and deliver events and visits in the local community, and lead the development and delivery of the Diamond work experience programme; and training and CPD (Continual Professional Development) for teachers;
- Manage the public engagement programme at Diamond, working at festivals, museums and other partner venues discussing our science and its impact in society;
- Lead on the planning, delivery and development staff training materials to increase capacity for public engagement at the facility and partner institutions;
- Line management of the Visits and Administrations Assistant;
- Manage the delivery of the Communications and PE training programme for staff and users to ensure that activities are maximised;
- Work with staff internally and in external partnerships to produce high quality content for events;
- Manage databases and online event registration systems linked to Public Engagement activities ensuring compliance with current data protection requirements;
- To propose and apply for grant funding as required;
- To assist with high level/bespoke visits to the facility as required and support the delivery of other activities undertaken by the Communications and PE team as required.
Qualification & Experience – Essential
- Science graduate or equivalent (Bioscience, Chemistry, Physics etc);
- Experience of organising and co-ordinating events on both a large and small scale;
- Strong organisational skills;
- Strong sense of initiative;
- Strong presentation & communication skills;
- Ability to work independently;
- Strong IT skills – standard MS office and in particular outlook and access packages;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Ability to make information accessible to lay audiences in an engaging way.
Qualification & Experience – Desirable
- Experience of website editing;
- Qualifications, training or experience in science communication or education;
- Experience of presenting to large and small groups;
- Experience of working in a busy communications office;
- A knowledge or understanding of data protection issues;
- Experience of working in science communication;
- Experience of engaging with the general public;
- Experience of engaging with schools and education professionals.
To apply for this job please visit www.diamond.ac.uk.