ALBA is the Spanish national synchrotron light source, a large research infrastructure operating ten beamlines, complementary facilities, and an Electron Microscopy Center, this last in partnership with other institutions. Currently constructing multiple more beamlines, expanding the Electron Microscopy Center, and integrating advanced data analytics, it sums up a wide range of infrastructures geared toward finding solutions to societal challenges.
Located in Cerdanyola del Vallès (Barcelona, Spain), it is funded by the Spanish Government (Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación) and the Catalan Government (Generalitat de Catalunya, Departament de Recerca i Universitats). The synchrotron light produced by 3 GeV electrons is used by thousands of researchers to analyse and understand the properties and functionality of matter, spanning a wide variety of fields, such as catalytic research, health, energy production/storage, environmental research, communication technologies, or cultural heritage.
Our highly motivated staff works in a multidisciplinary work environment with an atmosphere formed by lived diversity, inclusion and respect for our colleagues. Located close to Barcelona in a natural park and well connected by car and public transportation, you will find yourself in an area where others make vacation, with excellent connectivity to the world and an employer who understands the importance of life-work balance.
Facing an upgrade to ALBA II, a 4th generation facility, which will increase dramatically brightness and coherent flux, ALBA is in a phase of growth and dynamics. Being a part of the ALBA team will promote your career and will give you the opportunities to explore new territories.
CELLS is looking for a scientist or engineer to be incorporated in the Linac Group of ALBA, in the Accelerator Division.
The key functions of the post are as follows, for the accelerators of ALBA:
• Operation, maintenance and upgrade of the pulsed magnets installed at ALBA (kickers, septa and pinger magnets) and its associated pulsed power supplies.
• Operation, maintenance and upgrade of the klystron PFN modulators.
• Participation in the design of the pulsed magnets for the upgraded accelerator ALBA II, based on a non-linear kicker.
• Follow-up of manufacturing contracts for new pulsed magnets for ALBA and ALBA II.
• Participate with the activities of the Linac group.
• Contribute to the operation of the ALBA accelerators, including shifts and on-call.
In due course and depending on the development of the accelerators and project requirements the candidate will be expected to take up work as defined by the Division Head.
• Qualified to degree level (or degree students with 85% of the credits fulfilled) in an appropriate branch of Physics or Engineering (electronics, telecommunications or similar).
• Good interpersonal, communication and people working skills.
• Available to travel, including occasional periods away from home.
• Available to work on 24/7 shifts, and perform on-call duties.
• Good command in English language.
The requirements for participation must be met on the date of the deadline for the submission of applications and will be accredited by means of the CV attached to it, without prejudice to the power of the selection body to require the contribution. of the originals of the certifications accrediting the qualifications, training and work experience invoked in the CV.
Applications that do not present the aforementioned or required documentation during the selection procedure will not be accepted.
Selection process development
The selection will be carried out through the competition-opposition system.
First of all, an analysis of the curriculum will be carried out (academic records, degree, assessment of previous experience and/or scientific history, training and other professional information relevant to the position).
The assessment in the competition phase will be a maximum of 40 points, which will consider the following aspects:
• Academic records – 15 points.
• Professional experience in related tasks (0.4 points/month) – 10 points.
• Stage at abroad with educational or professional career purposes (employment, Erasmus, fellowships, internships, courses,…) – 5 points.
• The following specific knowledge related to the tasks of the position will be evaluated, with the following maximum number of 8 points:
o Design of pulsed magnets for accelerators (kicker, septum, stripline,…) – 2 points
o Hands on experience for hardware development and troubleshooting. – 2 points
o PCB design, power electronics simulation tools, MATLAB, LTSPICE- 2 points
o Measurement instrumentation (oscilloscope, probes, power meters…) – 2 points
• Language skills up to 2 points:
o 2 points for at least having a high level of Spanish or Catalan.
The best rated candidates will be invited to an interview where the technical competence, knowledge, skills and professional experience linked to the position will be assessed.
The interview will include at least:
– Presentation of academia, professional experience and skills.
– Motivation for the position.
– Questions and Answers by the tribunal.
To pass this phase of the selection process, a minimum of 30 points must be obtained out of a total of 60 points
The merits will be accredited by means of the CV attached to the application. The selection body may require accreditation by additional documentation, originals or certified copies confirming the experience invoked in the CV.
If necessary, alternates of the members of the Board Selection will be appointed by the president of the selection process, and the change will be published in the announcement.
The resolution of the selection procedure will be carried out within a maximum period of six months from the deadline for submitting applications for participation.
The selection process may be declared vacant if the selection body considers not to have found suitable candidates for the position although they might meet the minimum requirements.
Salary depending on qualifications and experience.
Permanent position with a probation period of 6 months.
The Selection Board is composed by the following members: Francisco José Pérez Rodríguez, Raquel Muñoz Horta and Jose Ávila Abellán.
To apply for this job please visit public.cells.es.