The ESRF, the European Synchrotron, is an international science facility based in Grenoble, France. Thanks to its high-level, innovative engineering and cutting-edge vision, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research institutions worldwide, welcoming more than 6 500 scientists every year in fields such as biology, medicine, chemistry, earth and environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials and surface science, and physics. The ESRF is supported by 22 countries and employs 650 staff.
The BLISS team of 5 software engineers within the Beamline Control Unit (BCU) is responsible for the development of BLISS, the new ESRF experiments control system. From 2019 to 2022, BLISS will evolve from the development stage to the integration on the 42 ESRF experimental stations (beamlines). In order to ensure the success of this phase of the project, ESRF is looking for a full-stack Python developer to reinforce the BLISS team.
As a proficient Python developer, you are expected to produce clean and reusable code, with testing being an integral part of your every-day routine. Rise to the challenge: this mission consists of joining the effort to finalize the BLISS development, and participating in the deployment of the new system on the beamlines.
Your responsibilities will range from designing, developing, writing automated tests, debugging, writing documentation and deploying BLISS with other members of the team. BLISS development is organised around Agile principles and follows the Scrum methodology, using collaborative tools like gitlab.
You will find yourself in a fulfilling international and interdisciplinary environment. The final goal is to help scientists to carry out the first experiments with BLISS.
PROFILE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Higher university degree (Master or equivalent 300 ECTS diploma) in Computing Science, Software Engineering or related area
- 3 to 8 years of professional experience in software development
- Very good, demonstrable Python programming skills
- Knowledge of asynchronous programming (gevent, asyncio, …)
- Knowledge of the following technologies would be an asset: Docker, Conda, Ansible
- Working experience with git or a similar distributed revision control system
- Curiosity, team spirit and good communication skills are required, so that you may interact with people of different domains such as physicists, electronics and software engineers.
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF)
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed. The annual gross salary will be within the range 34 – 44 k€ and additional allowances may apply (expatriation allowance, etc.).
The ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
If you are interested in this position, please apply by 31/08/2018.
To apply for this job please visit www.esrf.eu.