The ESRF, the European Synchrotron, is an international science facility based in Grenoble, France. Thanks to its high-level, innovative engineering and cutting-edge vision, the ESRF is recognised as one of the top research institutions worldwide, welcoming more than 6 500 scientists every year in fields such as biology, medicine, chemistry, earth and environmental sciences, cultural heritage, materials and surface science, and physics. The ESRF is supported by 22 countries and employs 650 staff.
The Safety Group is responsible for all radiation protection aspects associated with the different accelerators of the ESRF and the different X-ray experimental stations (i.e. beamlines), such as shielding calculations, radiation monitoring and personal and environmental dosimetry. The operation of the beamlines requires the use of radioactive sources for calibration purposes and some beamlines use radioactive samples.
Within a small team, you will report to the Radiation Protection Engineer and carry out various radiation protection tasks, in particular:
- control and management of radioactive samples and sources
- calibration and operation of measuring equipment (Ge spectrometry, TLD reader…)
- daily radiation protection follow-up of beamlines and X-ray generators
Beyond the technical interest of the job, the role involves a lot of field work, in contact with a variety of people (staff, scientific users, subcontractors, etc) and within a highly technical and international environment.
PROFILE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Technician diploma (high-school certificate or university degree) in radiation protection, chemistry or physics
- Previous professional experience in radiation protection is required
- Knowledge of basic radiation protection rules and techniques is expected. A training on specific radiation protection topics related to accelerators and X-ray beamlines will be provided.
- Rigour and ability to work in a team
- Proficiency in English (working language at the ESRF) and/or French
We offer a comprehensive benefits package designed to support your quality of life and your installation in the Grenoble area when relocation is needed. The monthly salary may be complemented by additional allowances upon eligibility (expatriation allowance, etc).
The ESRF is an equal opportunity employer and encourages diversity.
If you are interested in this position, please apply by 31/07/2018.