|Requisition Number: 410241||Location: Lemont, IL|
|Functional Area: Research and Development||Division: XSD-X-Ray Science Division|
|Employment Category: Regular||Shift: 8:30 – 5:00|
|Level (Grade): RD2|
The Advanced Photon Source at Argonne National Laboratory seeks a Beamline Scientist to carry out operations and user support at the Spectroscopy (SPC) group beamlines. Along with two bending magnet beamlines for XAFS, the SPC ID beamlines feature: X-ray microprobe station for fluorescence mapping, micro-spectroscopy and confocal imaging; Advanced spectroscopy stations support high resolution fluorescence spectroscopy, emission spectroscopy using bent crystal analyzers and miniature x-ray spectrometers and x-ray Raman spectroscopy. Science at the SPC beamlines includes research programs in, for example, environmental, biological, chemistry, catalysis, and energy science.
As a beamline scientist, the selected candidate will work closely with the SPC group, support general users and conduct a collaborative and independent science program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Conduct user support at the SPC beamlines (9BM, 20BM, 25ID).
• Perform independent research using SPC beamlines.
• Participate in technical development of the SPC beamlines.
• Demonstrated strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Perform experimental data treatment and processing as a part of independent research and
• Advance the spectroscopy user program at SPC beamlines.
• Comply and oversee user compliance with safety regulations.
Required Knowledge, Skills, And Abilities:
• Ph.D. in experimental physics, chemistry, material science or related field.
• Demonstrated publication record using synchrotron x-ray spectroscopy.
• Experience in x-ray spectroscopy and related data analysis and modeling.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills.
• Demonstrated experience in a team environment with a diverse group of scientists,
engineers, technical staff, and users.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
• Development of synchrotron beamline instrumentation.
• In-situ synchrotron measurements under different sample environments
• Scientific Python programming particularly within the bluesky project
• Ability to train others.
* A minimum of two years of synchrotron experience in conducting independent experimental
research at synchrotron facilities.
RD2 Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree and 5+ years of experience; Master’s and 3+ years; Doctorate and 0 years, or equivalent.
RD3 Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree and 8+ years of experience; Master’s and 5+ years; or Doctorate and 4+ years; or equivalent.
As an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer, and in accordance with our core values of impact, safety, respect, integrity and teamwork, Argonne National Laboratory is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace that fosters collaborative scientific discovery and innovation. In support of this commitment, Argonne encourages minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply for employment. Argonne considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Argonne employees, and certain guest researchers and contractors, are subject to particular restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Sponsored or Affiliated Activities, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation in the application phase for review by Argonne’s Legal Department.
All Argonne offers of employment are contingent upon a background check that includes an assessment of criminal conviction history conducted on an individualized and case-by-case basis. Please be advised that Argonne positions require upon hire (or may require in the future) for the individual be to obtain a government access authorization that involves additional background check requirements. Failure to obtain or maintain such government access authorization could result in the withdrawal of a job offer or future termination of employment.
To apply for this job please visit careers.peopleclick.com.